Fabrigonation, KMPK99, sagemodewade, and UsefulSam28 unbanned

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Approximately 5 months ago, 4 users (Fabrigonation, KMPK99, sagemodewade, and UsefulSam28) were indefinitely banned for abusing an exploit in the NetworkManager plugin to ban innocent players. The provided evidence clearly showed that the punishments were logged under their names, and there was no reason to assume that this information could be forged. Some changes were made to fix the exploit, and they seemed to have worked since there were no further issues.

However, 2 days ago, the exact same exploit was used to kick and ban multiple players, this time under the name of admin riawo. Unlike last time, several other admins were engaged and verified that it was unlikely that riawo actually performed the actions. A player that had just joined then came forward and claimed that they used an exploit to achieve this.

This of course caused suspicion, and after some investigation, the worst-case scenario turned out to be true: There was a serious issue in NetworkManager that gave a very high level of access, enough to give out arbitrary punishments while impersonating any player. Updates on the exploit itself will be posted at https://forum.totalfreedom.me/d/3698.

With that in mind, the only reasonable thing to do is to nullify the indefinite bans of all 4 users above. That means that for future issues, the players should be treated as if these indefinite bans never existed, not as if they were banned and unbanned.

Of course, that doesn't take away from the fact that 4 users were unfairly banned for almost half a year. On top of that, they received comments that they were simply lying about the situation. Although I didn't personally add these bans and didn't even consider the possibility of such an exploit, I am ultimately responsible. Therefore, on behalf of everyone that meant well but was misled by the situation: I am sorry.

•   Flobbier On the grounds that there were two different exploits used… I'm not convinced they didn't actually abuse an in game exploit like they were banned.

The only reason they are unbanned is because a way has been discovered that they could have been framed, not because they are innocent.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

•   Flobbier We know that's not entirely true. We did have logs of some of these individuals being the ones to execute and discuss the specific exploit previously.

As I said, this is "not enough to confirm guilt" rather than "innocence".

My personal belief having investigated this at the time, is those originally banned for the original exploit weren't framed because the method of framing was a very different issue.

Wild1145

• @'Ryan'

@'Ryan' We did have logs of some of these individuals being the ones to execute and discuss the specific exploit previously

@'Ryan' those originally banned for the original exploit weren’t framed

1. Did the logs show Riawo as executing this exploit?
    2. Does KMPK99 fall into this? Or what about Fabrigonation? Are you sure it's safe to generalize all of the banned players here under one banner?

@'Ryan' the method of framing was a very different issue.

How so? I'm not trying to start a flame war but I just want to know the facts.

Flobbier Did the logs show Riawo as executing this exploit?
    Does KMPK99 fall into this? Or what about Fabrigonation? Are you sure it’s safe to generalize all of the banned players here under one banner?

You may have misunderstood. The exploit most recently that enabled the framing (where we beehive Ria was framed) is very different to the original one or at least the original one we were aware of.

I can't remember who exactly we had logs for and who we didn't, I'd have to go deep diving through archives and old chats to see and honestly given this thread it isn't worth it because the bans have been lifted.

My point was that these players have been un banned because we are aware of an exploit that now exists which could have been used to frame them, though we also know some genuinely did exploit. So this isn't a thread proclaiming innocence, but more the lack of certain guilt.

Flobbier How so? I’m not trying to start a flame war but I just want to know the facts.

The details are currently still confidential, what has been released is linked off the original post here. The current difference is one issue was a permissions issue that let people use some nm commands they shouldn't have which included changes to their own perms and bans. The other allowed people to create false punishments as any player / staff member. Very different issues and one only being able to be done by self, the other being able to frame some one

Wild1145