• For its entire history as a plugin, TFGuilds has been problematic. In its early days, it used to lag the server every time someone sent a message because its MySQL implementation had optimization on par with Yandere Simulator. Nowadays it isn't that bad, but the awkward design and horrifically broken implementation is still there.

We have been having problems with TFGuilds for an entire year now, with bugs being discovered left right and center. Every time we think we have fixed it, we get 10x more bugs coming our way. We could obviously try to fix the plugin, but with how many bugs there are, I think at this point the plugin is a lost cause.

In the wise words of my assistant:

erin At this point TFGuilds has more bugs than a wasps nest.

I say we should remove the plugin and migrate the data it used to have to another more well-made plugin.

image.png

videogamesm12 I say we should remove the plugin and migrate the data it used to have to another more well-made plugin.

We did. This is the results of doing total re writes and trying to preserve data.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• I support redoing the plugin from scratch but not removing it forever because I have guilds as part of my retention plans.

@'Ryan' Fleek kept the existing database because he had too much work rewriting the plugin on his own. We need to convert its data to a serious format and trash all the old stuff.

Since the current plugin doesn't manage land claims or anything affecting worlds, what other data does a new guild plugin need other than guild names, members, ranks, chat additions (tags) and saved teleporting locations? It mustn't be too hard extracting those and importing them in a new db format.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

Tizz It mustn’t be too hard extracting those and importing them in a new db format.

It's not exactly trivial… The reason the old data was kept is because people didn't want a total reset of guilds data. Editing the data isn't super trivial and added extra complexity. The database itself isn't really the issue anymore (it could be better but it's not too bad).

My view is if we re do tf guilds again it needs to be architected in a very different way to serve a very different purpose.

Wild1145

• Vouch, the plugin has been a hassle from the moment I joined the server (and presumably caused issues before then). I obviously want the guilds system to remain in some way, but with a different and actually functioning plugin.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

• Not sure if some people have read past the passionate title:

videogamesm12 I say we should remove the plugin and migrate the data it used to have to another more well-made plugin.

Video's asking community support to replace TFGuilds and trash it while saving the guilds themselves, if possible.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• Official Post

So unfortunately I do reluctantly agree with this, though with the intent of either picking something up off the shelf we can use, or writing something new from the ground up.

Guilds have been pretty important to the server, and are something that I would like to keep wherever possible, however, I think we're probably at the point where there is so much bad/useless data in the database that it's not really worth saving.

With that in mind, for the short term (Due to the fact it breaks all the time) I'm going to approve the removal of TFGuilds from the server and the Github project will be archived and no longer updated. Conversations will then start around running something similar but at a bungee level (Potentially as a NetworkManager add-on even) to let us do some cool stuff with Guilds not just on Freedom-01, but on some of the other game modes I'd like to launch in the future.

Wild1145

• wild1145 July 20, 2022 at 7:42 PM

Closed the thread.