Introduce an alternative backup solution for Freedom-01

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Freedom-01 has suffered from data corruption as a consequence of the infrastructure's backup solution fucking up. This has happened twice. In addition, the server's size has made restoring from artifacts produced by the backup solution extremely difficult. This, to me, basically spells out the obvious: the backup solution isn't working for us.

Given Freedom-01's unique situation, I would like to suggest that we look into an alternative means of backing up server data to avoid situations like this. Clearly bundling everything into one big backup just isn't going to cut it.

Here's some ideas as for how we could accomplish it:

• Doesn't work:
      The current implementation.

• Works, but may not cover everything:
      If we were to break up the data being backed up into separate backups (e.g. a backup specifically for plugin configurations or world data), we might be able to back up data without using as much disk space. When I had the Archivist role during the Seth era, I actually did something similar in that I would split data being backed up based on the actual content itself. The main plus is again, less disk space usage. However, the main negative is that we would need to be selective, and as a result the backups may not cover everything.

• Works, but questionably legal:
      During the beginning of the Seth era, one solution that was used for backing up server data was to give someone read-only access to the server files so that they could download the files over SFTP and then save them without interfering with normal server operations. The main plus with a solution like this is that it uses very little disk space on the actual server. However, the main negative here is the legal ramifications that come with it.

image.png

• What is the current backup solution? I feel like it shouldn't be hard to make backups and then only backup the new changes. It wouldn't be that expensive to just upload it to backblaze or something. I personally use the Synology backup which works for my server. I don't have 120gb worlds obviously but something similar shouldn't be hard to fuck up

Telesphoreo What is the current backup solution?

VM screenshots made by KVM OVH using its proprietary format. I'd say this is designed for for disaster recoveries as you need to re-create the VM to access the backup's content. And freedom-01's game data's slightly over 200 GB.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• The issue boiled down to the way the current backup service for the host works with larger disk sizes, freedom 1 is by far the largest single vm on the server.

It's not just the freedom server that ran into issues as a result of this and we've made changes to the underlying infrastructure and backup service to ensure this doesn't happen again.

The reality is that for 99% of scenarios the only time we want to restore from backup is in a full disaster scenario. Any other situation generally boils down to a situation we should have manually backed up before those specific files or the entire vm anyway.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK