Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
    1. The way the logs are set up to be accessed only works when the Minecraft server is online. When the server is offline, server logs cannot be accessed. Perhaps it would be a good idea to implement something that allows for logs to be accessed regardless if the server is online or not.
    2. Sometimes when the server locks up, any telltale errors that would determine the reason for a server crash simply doesn't get saved into the log files. In the past, we didn't have this problem as logs passed through the panel. However, since we don't have a panel, most telltale errors from Spigot when it dumps its threads simply aren't saved anywhere. Perhaps it would be a good idea to implement something external that catches the logs from the Minecraft server console and saves it.
    3. Periodic timings reports should be performed automatically to help give more information when the server starts lagging. May come in handy when the server is lagging really hard and nobody thinks to do the /timings report command.
    4. Crash reports can help determine the cause of certain server crashes. They should be made accessible by admins via the server's HTTPD server or (if idea #1 is implemented) another method.

image.png

@videogamesm12#3155 The way the logs are set up to be accessed only works when the Minecraft server is online. When the server is offline, server logs cannot be accessed. Perhaps it would be a good idea to implement something that allows for logs to be accessed regardless if the server is online or not.

So this is something I've been considering for a little while, because ultimately hosting a HTTPD Server as a minecraft plugin doesn't really feel like the best of ways to be doing it. I have not put much more thought beyond "We really should do this" and I'm not sure what format it will take, but I agree that something other than a plugin makes sense.

@videogamesm12#3155 Sometimes when the server locks up, any telltale errors that would determine the reason for a server crash simply doesn't get saved into the log files. In the past, we didn't have this problem as logs passed through the panel. However, since we don't have a panel, most telltale errors from Spigot when it dumps its threads simply aren't saved anywhere. Perhaps it would be a good idea to implement something external that catches the logs from the Minecraft server console and saves it.

The errors do seem to still get logged in the way they always have / should have, it's just not always obvious from what I've seen and often isn't in the latest log but in an older one... Hopefully as part of point 1 this will be easier to work with in the future.

@videogamesm12#3155 Periodic timings reports should be performed automatically to help give more information when the server starts lagging. May come in handy when the server is lagging really hard and nobody thinks to do the /timings report command.

Something I have also thought about but not done a lot with beyond going "Yeah that'd be cool" but have thought about having a script that will check the timings and attempt to remediate through re-starts / similar, and likewise therefore able to resolve the issue hopefully before it becomes an issue / bigger issue.

@videogamesm12#3155 Crash reports can help determine the cause of certain server crashes. They should be made accessible by admins via the server's HTTPD server or (if idea #1 is implemented) another method.

I agree, ironically the crash report folder is usually always empty, not sure why but something in Spigot doesn't seem to like creating them, need to do more digging but rarely see files in there anyway.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @redeastwood#5202 It's 4 separate suggestions I think in reality, so yeah. Treat them individually is what I'd be doing.

Wild1145

• So I've raised FS-116 to start looking to re-work the HTTPD service and how it's working, which I think will solve a few of these. FS-117 raised around auto timing reports and finding a good way to present them over time.

Wild1145