[Discussion] Change or remove the role of Discord Manager

• The current definition of the Discord Manager is:
    “This role will be responsible for the overall day-to-day running of the Discord server, and helping to form the overall strategy when it comes to content and structure in the Discord Server.”

In this thread, I would like to discuss some changes I believe we should make to the Discord Manager role.

One change is due to the fact that we have an administration team in place already. Currently, there are 3 discord administrators. If the DM is meant to be managing all that they do in their role, what is left for the administration team?

Secondly, instead of the DM controlling everything, a Head Mod should be in place. I’m currently managing an 11,000+ member discord, just like the DM does. However, a difference is that we have a Head Mod in place. This means that I go nowhere near the mod team unless I set up anything like ban appeals (but I don’t handle them). I believe a system like this would help our server.

A further point of discussion I’d like to open is, what is really the point in having a Discord Manager? Ideally the Administrators (or even a Head Mod) of the server should be running the moderation side. A DM would then just be someone who manages the channels - which is something the mods can do. The context of our server doesn’t really fit the ideal gaming server - where giveaways, competitions and more are hosted.

I believe we should implement some changes to the system, and we need to clarify some positions here. It’s a bit messy right now.

• The role of Discord Manager has changed quite a bit as we've evolved the role, so your original definition no longer really holds.

In short Nick as Discord Manager is responsible for the overall running of the Discord, and holds delegated ownership powers in much the same way Steven and Hooke do for their respective game-modes.

The chart in https://forum.totalfreedom.me/d/3104-freedom…wnership-update hasn't been updated, but as far as I see it, Nick sits at the same level as Steven and Hooke, and oversees the Discord admin team, and the Discord mod team.

You're definition of a "Head Mod" heavily overlaps with the responsibilities that we have given to a "Discord Manager" with the difference being a lack of actual accountability. Nick is accountable to me, and if I'm un-happy with the way he's running things, he has to answer to me for that, likewise the administration and moderation teams are ultimately accountable to Nick for their actions.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Official Post

Denied, both because the role no longer specifically exists (Though unofficially I think Luke and videogamesm12 sort of are doing it as a collaborative effort) and because the purpose of the role is to act as an owner of something, much like Hooke and Steven do.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• wild1145 July 20, 2022 at 7:13 PM

Closed the thread.