Current Plans for the first half of 2022

• As we come to the end of what's been a rather challenging year for us all, both within this community and for many of us in our personal, social and other circles, I wanted to start to outline some of the plans and priorities that I've got in mind for the first half of 2022.

Over the course of this year we've faced some fairly significant challenges in terms of our player base and any form of retention and growth, I'm thankful to those of you that make up our core player base, and genuinely appreciate your continued support. My hope is that over the course of 2022 we can start to stabilise and grow properly, and these priorities will reflect making the server more sustainable to operate from a capacity and development perspective, but also critically will reflect the significant quality of life improvements for all members of the community.

The following list is in a rough priority order, but some activities may be completed in parallel or by different individuals.

Plots Server Launch

A lot of work has already been done as 2021 has been concluding to make the Plots world a reality, unfortunately it hasn't quite made it to launch for the end of this year. As it currently stands we have some additional permissions configuration that needs to be finished off, along with a lot of builds that the MB Team have been tasked with.

As soon as both of these activities are done, we will look to start a limited beta-trial on the server, before rolling it out to the entire community. The current hope is this will go live between February and March of 2022, but this will be sooner if we can make it happen!

Freedom Game-Mode Flatlands World Clean-Up

This is a critical activity to help ensure the server is sustainable to run, back-up and maintain. With the work @"StevenNL2000"#2 has already done to get the world sizes down it's enabled us to re-start some of the back-up processes that were previously crashing and disrupting our hosts environment. The Flatlands clean-up is the last activity that needs to be completed to enable us to re-baseline the servers requirements, and move to upgraded infrastructure and enrol the server into the panel.

Skyblock Reset & Network Integration

Since we merged the Skyblock server into the network, we've had a lot of problems finishing the full integration and getting it into the bungee, this has been due to the server historically being an offline mode server, and the migration to online mode being exceptionally challenging.

Speaking to @"Hooke_"#417 we have agreed that we will look to perform a full re-set of the Skyblock server and at the same time switch it to being part of the core bungee network. This will mean that players will be able to connect to the Skyblock from the hub server and without the need to re-connect on a different IP. As part of this it will mean Skyblock will cease to run as an offline mode server.

Flarum Upgrades & Re-Platform

The Flarum instance we run here is in need of some maintenance in the new year, part of that will involve re-platforming it onto a new VPS with an improved configuration in line with some of the lessons we've learnt from running Flarum so far.

This work should help ensure we're on infrastructure which is no longer grandfathered and helps align with the direction all of TF's infrastructure services are moving.

The 1.18.x Upgrade

A major priority for all of the game-modes will be to get to stable 1.18.x support ASAP, our various game-modes currently all support different versions of the game and have various compatibility rules to offer the appearance of a consistent base version to which the servers run on.

I am expecting this will be the largest challenge in the Freedom game-mode as evidenced by the fact we're still not actually running 1.17 on there, but this will be the highest development priority at least from the network perspective going into next year.

Panel Migration

Thanks to some excellent work from @"[deleted]"#15 earlier this year we now have a working setup of AMP which is currently the panel we're adopting for all servers across the TF Network, during the first half of 2022 we need to get everything moved to be ultimately managed by AMP which will likely be a reasonably significant amount of work, and cause some disruption. Some servers have already been moved across, but quite a few still need to be, mainly the hub, Bungee and Freedom game-mode.

Website Re-Design

One area that has come up a few times now is that the temporary landing page on our website isn't great, and that having a proper permanent website would look a lot better and be far more useful for the community.

During next year I'll be working with the ECD Team and the Development team to start working on bringing a new updated website to TF that showcases the various game-modes we will have running, information about our history and our community, and having some of the static content we currently host on the forums (Like our community guidelines) moved on to the website.

Player Retention & Growth

This is somewhat of a catch-all style point, but a key area we need to address is the actual retention of players throughout the network, starting with working on the existing advertising and promotion on the Freedom Server, and transitioning to a retention focused approach.

We will also need to look at ways to promote and retain players on our Skyblock and Plots servers, exactly how this is going to work in the longer term is to be addressed, but it's on my radar as activities we need to handle.

World Download Tool Improvements

There are quite a few improvements that I'm hoping to make to the world download tool to streamline the process of getting new files introduced to the tool, and ultimately there's a lot of stuff I have archived that needs to be published. Over the first half of the year I'm hoping to at the very least get all the files that should be available made available, and then in slower time also overhaul a lot of how it works under the hood to streamline and improve this process.

Designing New Game-Modes

During the first half of 2022 we're also going to be looking to gather and understand ideas around additional game-modes we might want to introduce in the future. Given the huge amount of work we already have on our plate, I can't imagine that we will have any launch right now in the first half of next year, but we certainly want to be actively developing ideas so that should development or general capacity be available to work on them, we will.

I'm also aware that there are going to be some activities we will likely start during the first half of 2022, but that are somewhat unlikely to be actually complete during this time. This section will outline some of these activities.

Migration Off Of Flarum

This was an activity that I had started working on some time ago, and after substantial backlash on how things were being ran, decided to de-scope. My intention at the moment is to look to re-start this work during 2022 and by the end of the year my aspiration is to have moved away from Flarum fully.

Migrate various aspect of the Freedom Game-Mode to Network Manager

This is another activity I had hoped to do this year, but to help strip functionality from TFM, I'm keen to move some of the basic functionality TFM does to be managed into the NetworkManager plugin, including rank management, punishments, sanctions, chat and all these sorts of things. This will help get TFM into a better position to eventually be moved over to being stripped back more and we switch to permissions, or ultimately for whatever the longer term plans @"StevenNL2000"#2 has for the Freedom server by reducing the ongoing development overhead of the Freedom game-mode and trying to standardise into common practices where we can.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

•   matscalle Nope, we tried to migrate to Onlinemode but most of the plugins just don't work. A total reset really was the only way.

Plus at the time of originally writing this we didn't have players on Skyblock, so a reset wasn't a concern.

Wild1145

•   matscalle That wouldn't be fair, and would still not work. As I say we've explored a lot of options with this, but a clean re-set is the best way forward on this occasion.

The current worlds will be made available to download once they are reset so you can always play on a local server if you want to continue the island.

Wild1145

• So Status Update.

Plots Server Launch

This is still being worked through as we speak, I'm currently hoping we will be in a position to launch some point in the next couple of months. The MB Team have been progressing with the spawn and other build requests, I just need to set some time out to get perms setup and tested, and then build the live server.

Freedom Game-Mode Flatlands World Clean-Up

This activity was completed earlier this month, thanks for everyone for their cooperation and understanding with the outages to support this.

This is currently on hold pending the community feedback on suggestions to get rid of the game-mode, obviously there is no point in resetting and improving a game-mode if the community want rid.

The upgrade itself has been completed, we will be re-platforming the Forums in due course, no timeline currently planned.

The 1.18.x Upgrade

I believe Paldiu has a plan in place to get us to the 1.18 version for the Freedom game-mode and we should start to see progress towards this very shortly. The Hub will be updated to 1.18 also shortly as will Plots, however we're looking to try to time this in such a way that we minimise the amount of time we are running any 1.17.x servers but only permitting 1.18 players, as that caused some contention previously.

Panel Migration

We've not been making much active progress on this, the Skyblock server was the first due to be moved under the panel but that's on hold.

Depending on what the final outcome ends up being for the 1.18 game-mode upgrade we might bundle a re-platform of Freedom-01 into that at which point it will be moved under the panel, as we will look to move the server to a new VPS Platform as part of the panel migration, and that may make sense to do with 1.18, update will follow when we have news.

Website Re-Design

Some time has been spent (I fancied doing some web design) doing some prototype work to make some improvements to the current landing page, though nothing serious has taken place. This will get picked up later, likely after March.

I haven't currently got a real update, I need to follow up with Steven and Hooke on what specific activities have been undertaken in the game-modes to promote them.

The only "Improvements" has been making more items available (And no Tizz I'm afraid not Freedom-02 yet, I keep not quite getting to it, I will!) but there will be more improvements, likely around the spring / summer time now.

Designing New Game-Modes

I've not been doing any work currently to design new game-modes, I plan to look at this when some of these other activities have been completed or at the very least are further through.

Migration Off Of Flarum

I'm hoping to ramp up this activity later this year, but nothing will start here until the current forums are re-platformed later this year.

Speaking to Paldiu the first phase of this I hope will land as part of the 1.18 update, which will start to enable some additional options for us. We've already made use of the command blocking functions in NetworkManager to start doing some more complex command blocking to block exploits without totally disabling functionality. I need to work with StevenNL2000 and Paldiu to form a rough roadmap on this area which will then be announced in due course.

Wild1145

• Just to update.

This work has now been completed. We were already running the latest version and we've re-platformed on to a new VPS running the latest generation of VPS from Superior Networks, with the software stack overhauled to hopefully provide us with more reliability and better scalability going forward.

Wild1145

• While I am still taking some time away, I've spent today and the last few weeks working through some of this anyway, so some updates.

Plots Server Launch

This has ultimately been reduced in priority, and is likely to end up being something that goes live now in the second half of the year. The MB Team have done a cracking job getting the initial builds ready and in place and my plan is to pick this back up once some of the other actions have been completed.

This is being worked through by Hooke_ and I'm hoping in the coming weeks we will have an update to the Skyblock integrated into the bungee. We've today managed to identify the issue where players could not connect to the server which is enabling this work to pick up again.

The 1.18.x Upgrade

For Freedom-01 I don't believe any notable progress has been made. We will look over the coming weeks to uplift the other servers on the network and increase the global minimum version requirement to 1.18, a separate announcement will be posted when dates and times are confirmed.

Panel Migration

With the exception of the core bungee and our Hub-03 server, everything has now been moved to the Ptero panel. We're not currently planning to move the bungee itself at the current time, and Hub-03 will likely be moved as part of the 1.18 uplift to make things simpler.

Website Re-Design

We've put some work into making the main website more presentable, but are going to put a hold on it for now pending some other priority tasks that might replace the need to re-design the website.

An update from the EMM / ECM has been posted separately.

We've concluded the work on this for the time being, again we might do some future work but for now there's no further improvements planned.

Designing New Game-Modes

This activity is currently on hold.

Migration Off Of Flarum

This has taken up the majority of my time recently, we're hoping in the coming weeks to make the jump away from Flarum and over to Woltlab, we're just working through the final teething issues with the importer, and we can then start to look to migrate over. It's likely that the migration will take a day or two overall, and announcements will be posted with more info when we get closer to the date / time of move.

We've not made any notable progress with this, taah has started to work on migrating the permissions / groups management in TFM to hook into Network Manager, but we need to re-visit exactly what we can already migrate across, and what we can unlock and migrate over once the groups setup is moved over.

===

I'll look to post a new thread in the coming weeks with a plan for what the later half of 2022 holds for us and what our plans are, thank you all for your continued support.

Wild1145

• So this will be the final update on this now that we're past the first half of the year but wanted to share the progress for transparency.

Plots Game Mode Launch

This has not quite happened, the reality now is I think we'll end up re-working what I had done on the plots server and re-baselining against a newer version of Minecraft when I come to do it. The work that the MB Team did is still going to be awesome and used as part of this project. This will be one of the activities carried into the priorities for the second half of this year.

This was done earlier in the year, many thanks to Hooke_ for making this happen. There are still MC Version uplifts we need to do to the Skyblock and it will be one of the priorities for the second half of the year to start updating the underlying version of Minecraft on the Skyblock.

The 1.18.x Upgrade

This unfortunately has been something we've failed pretty hard at and is going to be one of the major priorities for the rest of the year. I will be sitting down with the game-mode owners and the development team to establish if we want now to skip past 1.18 straight up to 1.19, one that is done with some form of update will be a major priority for the rest of the year.

Panel Migration

The same update as last time, Hub-03 is still to move across, we hope to get this done in the coming weeks so this will also be carried over as a priority into the rest of the year so we can wrap it up nicely.

Website Re-Design

This has now been done through the deployment of the Woltlab CMS to replace the forums as well as the website. There's going to be more work to improve this but that will be a continuous improvement rather than specific goals.

Updates from the EMM have been posted on this previously, I'm not convinced we made any major improvements, but we also didn't really have a clear outcome for this in terms of a goal throughout the year so I'm closing this one down now that we have some movement, and I think there will be further changes and updates to follow

Already concluded in the last update.

Designing New Game Modes

This was previously put on hold and is not something that will prove to be a major priority for us throughout the rest of the year, we have one or two additional game modes scoped that we want to develop and that will be more than enough for the time being.

Migration Off Of Flarum

Complete! We moved earlier this month as you can see and the re-direct from the old domain seems to be working really nicely. We'll continue to improve Woltlab over the rest of the year but we're closing this goal down as a success!

Migrate various aspects of the Freedom Game Mode to Network Manager

This one has slowed down a bit and will be a goal going into the rest of the year. We have moved some permissions and command blocking into Network Manager, and will be looking to move even more over throughout the year as well as hopefully the rank management.

---

Hope you found this update useful, I'll be writing a new thread shortly on the plans for the rest of the year so keep your eyes peeled!

Wild1145