Change the message for when someone...

• ...walks into the water portals in the Hub servers and the server is offline for maintenace

Currently, when the server is in maintenance, if you walk into the water portals in the hub the message reads:
    Could not connect to a default or fallback server, please try again later: io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException

My suggestion is to change it to something like:

The server is currently going through maintenance and should be online by (time here). Click here - hyperlink to the status site - to learn more.

The benefit of this suggestion is that if a newcomer joins the server, or if someone hasn't checked the forums or Discord, they know why straight away without having to go on the forum.

I'd like to also mention that I don't know if this is something that we can even change - if it isn't, please lock this thread unless we have another way to do this (which can be voted on).

• It can be done... sort of. The problem is that the default error message tells you the exact error you're getting when trying to connect to freedom-01, which is useful in some cases. Unless there is a way to non-intrusively retain the io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException part (e.g. making it appear when you hover over the message), this would just make it harder to figure out why you're unable to connect.

Object.

image.png

• So the longer term plan is to switch out the way the portal works, and rather than it try to connect you into Freedom-01, it'll launch the compass menu and you'll be able to pick servers from there. The compass should already show real time server status, though not 100% sure what happens if you try to use a server that's offline, I don't think it lets you.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

•   matscalle That's not possible with the portal... That's why we have the compass and the other server addresses for people that want to "Skip" the hub.

Wild1145

• Official Post

Going to deny this, for the time being, the errors are pretty handy and we're working on making the experience better through other means :)

Wild1145

• wild1145 July 20, 2022 at 7:28 PM

Closed the thread.