Executive Marketing Manager Voting

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Who should be the permanent Marketing Manager? 43

1. Panther (9) 21%
    2. Tizz (34) 79%

Panther is the current Marketing Manager. However, his position has actually only been interim so far. In the interest of involving the community, the permanent Marketing Manager will be chosen by vote. Over the past 2 weeks, admins have been able to apply for the position, which has resulted in 2 applications.

This thread is for the voting part. Feel free to discuss the applicants in the replies. You can find the applications here:
    https://forum.totalfreedom.me/d/3225-executi…er-applications

• I've noticed that both of the candidates talk about how they want to make sure that the gameplay on the server Is engaging enough to be able to effectively market the server, so im just wondering if either of you have any specific ideas of how you are going to go about doing that?

@"Panther"#54 @"Tizz"#240

•   DragonSlayer2189 At this point it doesn't matter in terms of the application I have an opinion about in general. We either need to have some form of unique gameplay, or gameplay that the community can make unique. The possibilities for unique gameplay are limitless and with a game like Minecraft (and also some devs) it's possible to get something started that is unique to our server and keeps people online. In our situation, since we can't really do this effectively from a development standpoint, we need to work on something that our community could make unique.

During my days as the interim EMM I believed that anarchy would fit this community like a glove, and I still do now. So many of us came here because we wanted to bend and mess around with the server, and anarchy would provide a great environment for the TF community to do that. The creativity some of the members here have would generate a lot of interest in terms of anarchy server gameplay. I remember one night a while ago, on Freedom-02, Video and I had a little experiment where we basically just enabled everything and let the players loose, the server became fun for just a little as players went crazy placing withers everywhere and exploding builds. It was a hell of a lot of fun, and everyone online agreed.

The main reason I wanted to have an anarchy server on TF, though, is because of the marketing opportunities we have with it. Even if nobody here really believes it, the evidence and history of TF we have from long ago is more than enough to generate hype over the idea that there was an anarchy server before 2b2t. If we supported the gamemode now, it would be so easy to get the ball rolling by publicizing and marketing that evidence. Some of you may think it's a dumb idea - but I suggest you take one glance at how basically every company markets its products. For example, the iPhone 12 had a "Ceramic Shield" feature that was chalked up to do basically nothing, but it was still enough to cause many to believe that they would finally have an invincible phone that didn't need a case. Their Q1 2021 revenue statistics were outstanding.

Anyway, all of this is the reason I did basically nothing except advocate for bigger changes as interim - I knew if I tried to generate hype over the freedom server as it is now, nothing was going to happen. And that is still the case today: I love Tizz's work ethic and character, but if he tries it, nothing will happen either. To actually get something done, we are going to need interesting gameplay to keep players online, or gameplay that our community is able to make interesting, like anarchy. Nobody is going to be able to market a failing creative server. There's a million better places to go.

•   Panther time and time again we have this discussion. allow me to put it in caps to make it even more apparent

THE EMM IS NOT FOR ANY OTHER SERVER OTHER THAN FREEDOM. YOU CANNOT DO OTHER GAMEMODES AS IT IS LITERALLY NOT YOUR JOB. YOU SAID TO ME YOU'RE GOING TO BE PUTTING FORWARD SUGGESTIONS AS EMM TO MAKE MORE GAMEMODES, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT AN EMM DOES, THAT IS WHAT EVERY USER IS ABLE TO DO

I ask you this here, last time you just left the conversation: Why can't you do what you propose to do as an ordinary admin or even an op?

I'll also ask this: Why do you insist on saying you pledge to do something that isn't your job? That's like me applying for forum mod and saying "I will moderate the Discord to the best of my abilities"

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

Luke THE EMM IS NOT FOR ANY OTHER SERVER OTHER THAN FREEDOM. YOU CANNOT DO OTHER GAMEMODES AS IT IS LITERALLY NOT YOUR JOB. YOU SAID TO ME YOU’RE GOING TO BE PUTTING FORWARD SUGGESTIONS AS EMM TO MAKE MORE GAMEMODES, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT AN EMM DOES, THAT IS WHAT EVERY USER IS ABLE TO DO

So? That doesn't change the fact that if the EMM "can't do other gamemodes" that nothing will actually end up happening. Whatever "job" you have in mind isn't actually going to happen with that limitation in the position we are in, regardless if it's me or anyone else. We don't have the development force to improve the freedom server to an interesting or playable standard, especially with the community's defiance against canning TFM.

As long as the EMM is limited this way, they aren't going to end up getting anything significant done. Anyone could make the suggestion, but only the EMM would have access to the accounts and resources related to the server that are needed to generate interest outside of TF. At this point, if you want to stick to the idea that someone can cause real improvements to retention and interest while restricted to only promoting the freedom server, you can go ahead and believe it. Ignore the dozens of times previous EMMs have put a massive amount of effort into it to no avail. There is a bigger fundamental issue that we need to solve first.

Panther So? That doesn’t change the fact that if the EMM “can’t do other gamemodes” that nothing will actually end up happening. Whatever “job” you have in mind isn’t actually going to happen with that limitation in the position we are in, regardless if it’s me or anyone else. We don’t have the development force to improve the freedom server to an interesting or playable standard, especially with the community’s defiance against canning TFM.

So what do you aim to achieve by applying for a position that you aren't intending on filling out the role for? I sincerely doubt Ryan is just going to change the EMM to anything more?

You've also skipped past my two questions (again)

Luke I ask you this here, last time you just left the conversation: Why can’t you do what you propose to do as an ordinary admin or even an op?

I’ll also ask this: Why do you insist on saying you pledge to do something that isn’t your job? That’s like me applying for forum mod and saying “I will moderate the Discord to the best of my abilities”

•   Luke Read the entire post:

Luke You’ve also skipped past my two questions (again)

I ask you this here, last time you just left the conversation: Why can’t you do what you propose to do as an ordinary admin or even an op?

Panther Anyone could make the suggestion, but only the EMM would have access to the accounts and resources related to the server that are needed to generate interest outside of TF.

Luke I’ll also ask this: Why do you insist on saying you pledge to do something that isn’t your job? That’s like me applying for forum mod and saying “I will moderate the Discord to the best of my abilities”

Panther if the EMM “can’t do other gamemodes” then nothing will actually end up happening.

Panther Anyone could make the suggestion, but only the EMM would have access to the accounts and resources related to the server that are needed to generate interest outside of TF.

No, they won't, because it IS NOT THEIR JOB, what part of this do you not understand?

Panther if the EMM “can’t do other gamemodes” then nothing will actually end up happening.

Yeah? That doesn't answer my question? Why are you applying for a role that you don't intend to fulfil? Regardless of what you believe the EMM should be, it is not in charge of other gamemodes and therefore you will not achieve anything you've listed?

• Marketing, in all reality and seriousness, who would actually want to market a place like this.

I have been going around communities, talking to people and see what's so different; I learned one thing that Totalfreedom's community is and excuse my language, a shit fucking dump-basket. None of you can work together, have decent conversations, peaceful suggestions, and speak normally and respectfully to each other, etc.

Utter disappointment on each member of the community, staff or not that thinks this server is their backyard to shit on whenever.

•   Panther I think you're missing Luke's point here.

Why are you applying for a position on the freedom server when your plan does not involve the freedom server?

I don't really see why you should be preventing someone else access to a position when that person actually wants to fulfil the role asked of it.

Edit: you answered bits of this question in another response to someone else.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Luke No, they won’t, because it IS NOT THEIR JOB, what part of this do you not understand?

Then whose job is it? Why do people even think it would be a good idea to have an EMM for each separate gamemode in a network? It'd sound pretty dumb if Mineplex offered you a position and said "We want you to improve player retention and interest in the Mine-Strike minigame!" (which is largely unsuccessful as of late.) Who honestly cares? People who join servers don't think that way - they join a server becasue of whatever's interesting. Zero people would care if Mineplex were to make promotional material encouraging people to play a dead gamemode. The same is the case on TF - Our "freedom" gamemode - which is just dysfunctional creative at this point - is unsuccessful. We aren't going to be able fix its problems with marketing - there needs to be a different mindset of either focusing on the network in general, or on serious development (which we can't do right now.) And if that happens to break the boundary of what the EMM's job is currently defined as, so be it. It's going to need to happen at some point, like it or not.

Luke Yeah? That doesn’t answer my question? Why are you applying for a role that you don’t intend to fulfil? Regardless of what you believe the EMM should be, it is not in charge of other gamemodes and therefore you will not achieve anything you’ve listed?

A - when I got the position, the limitation wasn't strictly on freedom. And if it was, then I was told things by higher level staff like the idea that "I could market the hub if I want" that brought that into question.

B - The role of "EMM" was one I intended to fulfill, at least at the time of my appointment. The issues my actions sought to resolve were player retention and interest on the network. If the position really restricts the EMM to only the freedom server now, it is pointless and won't get us anywhere. In that case, I'm applying to do as much as I can to change it, and prevent people from getting the idea that it's viable as is at all. It's better to get that done than to watch another EMM spin their wheels with more promotional material for the freedom server that ultimately will do nothing.

•   erin Short answer to this is because that type of limitation on the position is going to cause anyone who fills it to fail (unless at some point we have the dev team to make the freedom server enjoyable.) To me it's better that the person who fills it makes that clear and breaks the cycle instead of trying and failing to work around it again.

• i mostly did tizz cause i know him and i know he will make the right decisions and what i see on the post with panther not doing stuff with the freedom server makes me go even MORE TIZZ WIN

codium multimatter redanium sporres