The Ownership Policy - A Question & Many Thoughts

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • I'm hoping to get some feedback from current members of the community, I suspect this thread will cause drama and likely the return of folks that have been inactive, and while I value your views, my interest is in what the current active TF community feel on this matter.

As part of the recent change in the Freedom Game-Mode's ownership, I wanted to start to tweak policies so they made sense in the new context, a lot of our policies have always been written with the assumption that we are and will never be more than just a Freedom server, and over the last year that has changed, and will continue to change as we launch the plots game-mode and launch other game-modes into the future.

The ownership policy as a policy continues to be a tricky one, because in it's current format, it's no longer enforceable and arguably not really going to achieve what it was originally intended to do, when Mark was custodian of the domain it gave the policy some teeth and was seen as the generally accepted way we would future-proof TF's existence as a community, with that no longer being the case I want to re-visit with the community the scope of the policy and where we go from here.

My original plan had been to re-work the ownership policy to apply only to the Freedom Game-mode, which Steven now owns, that felt in keeping with the spirit of the original policy, and still gives the community some power over the big decision of who owns their server, it did however end up removing nearly everything that made the ownership policy useful, and felt like it would just water it down to the point of being pointless.

It also meant there are issues that would remain unresolved, especially if I were to go inactive / anything like that, but equally now there is nobody external owning the domain name, I couldn't think of a good way to address it, this is the first time since Mark handed over to Windows that the owner of the server has also owned the domain and had actual full control over things.

Under Seth's ownership I was very vocal about the fact that the ownership policy was the only thing that actually gave him legitimacy as the owner of the server, and I don't think that's changed today, but the fact of the matter remains that the policy is no longer enforceable / able to be invoked without me agreeing due to the domain ownership, and as such it in it's format today, is totally pointless.

I guess my question is what are peoples thoughts, do you care about having an ownership policy, if so what are your thoughts on how to make it useful and meaningful?

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Sorry that this is off topic but I more have questions about the executive policy, as you have now specified that it's specifically the "Freedom Game-Mode Executive Policy" which I don't fully understand as most of the executive roles such as ECM, EMM, EBM, etc. All concern more global Network wide type thing, such as player retention, server promotion. And, as that is the case, it is confusing to call the executive policy the "Freedom Game-Mode Executive Policy", and makes it seem like you are limiting the scope of the executive roles to be only relevant within the freedom gamemode

(Also, separate thing, but i thought it was gamemode not Game-Mode, am I wrong?)

I'll give the ownership policy and it's changes more of a thought a bit later, and in a separate post so that you can split this into its own thread if you want

•   DragonSlayer2189 The executive roles were generally re-scoped because we don't have many other active game-modes, and the existing executive roles were ultimately written and designed around the Freedom game-mode. Some of these roles in the future may move to be cross-network, some will naturally remain specific to the game-mode to which they are assigned, but right now as per this thread the executives were changed to reporting into Steven and by extension are currently scoped to the Freedom Game-mode.

The main reason for this is that a lot of the comments around executives were that they didn't understand their scope or didn't think X, Y or Z were the right things for the network, this way (Unless otherwise tasked) executives report to Steven and he makes the final call on who is appointed / removed going forward.

Wild1145

• If the network eventually becomes the "TF network", as you originally planned, the domain name "totalfreedom.me" won't make sense anymore and, if replaced, will become unused.

That could give the freedom server owner a chance to redeem it in cases he wants to move away from your network for some reason (unlikely as long as you're still around)

Provided that the freedom server owner is theorically allowed to do it.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

•   Tizz So my view on the totalfreedom.me domain is that it's something I plan to keep and maintain for as long as I can afford to keep things running, even if we killed all the game servers, I'd very much like to keep whatever forums and other online resources we have still accessible for many years to come, given how many older members of the community would know that domain, I'd be very unlikely to consider giving it away to anyone as I value the longer term historic value and archiving of TF above saving the £10 a year it'd save me.

Wild1145

Tizz If the network eventually becomes the “TF network”, as you originally planned, the domain name “totalfreedom.me” won’t make sense anymore and, if replaced, will become unused.

If that does end up happening, what would it be replaced with? And what would happen to the different Bungee servers (Hub, Events) when it comes to redirecting, or are they just going to have their own IPs?

Hub Moderator

Admin

Rhythm Game Enthusiast

Owner @ [REDACTED]

• i no longer care about an ownership policy because ultimately we can't do shit if you want to go rogue and such because you are British overlord and have access to everything. sure i could make a 6 page rant on why you should or shouldn't but its far easier to just not care because ultimately you arent just going to give the domain to someone else for the sake of a policy. outside of that, there isn't much any of us can do if you go inactive so like.

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

• I'm going to be perfectly honest and say that the ownership policy doesn't mean anything anymore. Whoever has the domain pointed to their server owns TF. That's the domain everyone knows and making people switch to a new one would be pretty much impossible. Mark was a neutral party and would have no problem changing the DNS if there was eventually a new owner. Wild is not and could easily refuse to let anyone else be the owner and remove all the domain records. Giving up the domain was a terrible mistake. It's also not a violation of the ownership policy at the moment to shut down the server and refuse to cooperate in changing the domain records.

If we were actually serious about having an ownership policy instead of just for shits and giggles, the domain would be given to a genuine true neutral person / party. At the moment the policy is utterly useless.

gamingto12 what would it be replaced with?

I have no fantasy so I can't come up with something other than tfnetwork.me or tf.me

gamingto12 what would happen to the different Bungee servers

Nothing. Iirc game servers, forum, website are behind a proxy. Changing the domain name basically means telling DNS providers to point the new name to that proxy's IP. You don't even need to delete the old name. We've had tf.io as an alias but looks like it's expired.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager