Why not move from Flarum to EsoTalk?

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  •   Akefu-Brewer It looks as if Flarum chose not to include it in their base version, I've checked a few accounts that show to me as an admin as suspended, and when viewing it as someone who's not logged in, they don't show anything.

I suspect there might be an add-on, but Flarum also doesn't support giving reasons / details as to why someone is sanctioned / suspended from accessing the forums, just a "On / Off / Time Limit" set of options.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

•   Akefu-Brewer We have looked at moving forum software, given the general lack of support for geteso outside of that community and the fact the creator of it is indef banned from most of our platforms, the longer term sustainability of such a move is questionable at best.

One of the things on the roadmap for next year will be to re-visit moving to a better piece of software to manage our forums, and one that is commercially supported rather than hand-cranked. We did a pilot of it earlier this year but dropped it for various reasons, the plan is to re-visit it next year when time permits.

Wild1145

•   Akefu-Brewer But it does introduce a significantly higher risk of supply chain attacks or other exploits being intentionally written into the software... I'm also honestly not a fan of the EsoTalk software for the same reason I dislike Flarum, the lack of overall structure and the fact that it's basically a glorified post-it note board rather than a proper forum suite. The point of getting rid of Flarum was to move back to something that actually supports the concept of boards and categories that we want, rather than "Tags" which are just annoying.

Wild1145

• @'Ryan' I am aware, I am in a slight dissupport and support for esotalk software, its forum design causes alot of drama(its true, i've seen how it went downhill)

-Lots of exploits

-Really easy to spam

-poor security lacking 2FA

I would support eso for its fast and easy to use design, but not for its security.

•   Akefu-Brewer You’re the one who spammed it, “2FA” on a forum would be done in the form of a plug-in, and I haven’t been made aware of any known exploits but I’m sure they’d be in the process of being patched since it’s in development.

Most of your posts about forum software are BS because you have never contributed to the software.

• I've split this out into a new thread because it's de-railing the other one.

I'd also ask that if you want to have a conversation about the EsoTalk software, to do so without getting into specifics of certain users / communities running said software, because that's also nothing to do with this thread, and frankly not something that we need to get into / start a fight over on here.

Wild1145

• It's important to distinguish "eso" (a fork of esoTalk) from esoTalk, the abandoned project by Toby Zerner that has quite a few XSS vulnerabilities and isn't particularly worth looking at. Eso is the project being worked on by Mosley that's based off an older version of esoTalk which you can read more about here if you really want to. esoTalk became more like Flarum when it was reorganized by Toby and others, but the original concept is what's being used on geteso (with the "tag" / "gambit" system / "tag cloud") and the Eso software is what it's based on. Mosley's forum software =/= the "infamous" forum of his that runs the same software.