Bring back the Charter (Veteran) Rank

• It is in the interest of the server to bring back the Charter rank.

The Charter rank was originally created to honour those who had exemplary contributions to the server, at the time of its creation. It offered incentive for ex-staff to rejoin and claim this badge of honour.

In recent history, we have noticed a surge in ex staff who reinstate simply to claim the rank of admin, and retain this rank without performing their administrative duties. This Charter rank would aim to combat this issue, by providing a viable alternative to the social status the admin rank offered.

I am suggesting for the Charter rank to be restored in its entirety.

@redeastwood#2779 This Charter rank would aim to combat this issue, by providing a viable alternative to the social status the admin rank offered.

Charter would combat the issue of admins reinstating just to keep their rank without doing anything... by letting them keep their rank without doing anything?

• The charter rank was, as you state, for admins who were there at the very beginning, so it is limited to a very specific group of people that can never increase or decrease in size. You are specifically promoting it as a solution for bogus reinstatements, but I don't see any reason why a charter would be more likely to submit a reinstatement than any other former admin.

• I see it as a title for being here since the start. Like getting a cosmetic for participating in a beta, or the Gucci role in our Discord. I don't recall it being anything more than that, nor should it be anything more than what I described above.

• @Tozzit#2811

I agree with this. Charter doesn't deserve to be a means for automatic promotion, but a list of notable players can't hurt. Especially, for a server with a history like ours, a charter holds a lot more significance in comparison to other servers.

@Darth#2796 by letting them keep their rank without doing anything?

Yes because the charter rank doesn’t come with any responsibilities. Admin rank comes with the responsibility of actually administrating the server and responding to reports etc. You also need to be active to be an administrator - and there are quite a few old admins who do fuckall rn.

• Object to where they can just come back and keep their ranks and do fuck all.
    But of just a cosmetic rank or like a tag but no extra perks I think could be something maybe to implement.

• So my current intention is at the very least to restore the title as it formally was when Mark created it, as that feels like the right thing to be doing in order to formally recognise those who have formally helped shape the server.

I'm debating if I want to continue to evolve the title to include admins who over the years have also made significant contributions to the server, as there will be admins that joined after the first year or so that the rank encompassed who I think should be recognised.

What I will say is when the title was created it was just that, a title. It doesn't come with anything else in game or otherwise and I'm also thinking that is how I'd manage this.

There was another conversation around if having a "Retired" Rank / Title would be a good idea, but as far as I'm concerned, that's out of scope of this conversation.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @Tozzit#3084 Yeah, that was always my understanding, that it was but a title. And that's all I really feel it needs to be, something to go "You're awesome for the work you've put into the server, thank you for all you've done!"

Wild1145

• @Xen#3095 Charter admins were only by title, they didn't have an activity requirement because if they weren't able to retain their standard Super, Telnet or Senior rank they wouldn't be an active admin, but they would retain a position on the senior roster by title.

Part of the reason the activity requirement was probably not a big deal either is Mark was very much a "Once you're a senior, you're always a senior" in position, so reinstating if they wanted to was trivial.

Wild1145

• @wild1145#3053
    This was something that Seth was heavily against, which used to piss me off. Because really, I think honouring those who have been there since the beginning/past contributors is an important part of our server's history.

image.png