A section for forum punishments

• When a forum user is suspended or sanctioned in other ways, a note is usually placed by a mod in the thread the offence has been comitted. This can make it hard for forum staff to keep track of punishments, and others can't easily tell if they're trying to interact with a banned user as only mods and admins can see the "suspended" badge next to the name.

I suggest having a dedicated section to post forum sanctions. It could be a primary tag put at top level or under one for forum stuff. Only forum staff should be able to post in there, while for the others it's read only.

I've imagined two ways for adding punishments in it:

• a thread for each punishment
    • a single megathread where punishments would be noted by adding a post

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• I Vouch. We have a log for in-game punishments, so why shouldn't one be for logging forums ones too? Simply record the date, username, where the infracton happened and the infraction to keep it simple if managing a "megathread" is too hard.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• Object, having a thread for each punishment is just cluttersome, its better if they just have the "suspended" badge next to their name, its not gonna hurt anyone if they can see someone is suspended, in fact, thats the whole point. I want the "suspended" badge just added, not threads. Threads will clutter, and just be a waste of space on top of the piles of stickies.

• Vouch, but I think we can just reuse https://forum.totalfreedom.me/t/forum-sanction-requests for this since it is about pretty much the same thing.

Tizz others can’t easily tell if they’re trying to interact with a banned user as only mods and admins can see the “suspended” badge next to the name

I was actually not aware of this. I guess it makes sense in some situations, but apparently this is yet another design choice of Flarum that does not fit our community very well.

• It's worth noting that we now have a forum warning system in place, and those warnings are visible to forum staff.

I don't think having the warnings / sanctions published wider is really something we absolutely need, and I don't think I want us tracking sanctions in multiple places.

I'd like more feedback.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• The idea could be modified to just publish forum suspensions (the "bans"). Of course, not everything will be worth being noted (ex. spam from bots). An old gaming forum I'm in does it this way.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

•   Tizz Well if we do that we'll just allow all members to see the warnings that we assign to people, which I've never seen done on another forum and I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of.

Wild1145

• afaik it isn't currently possible to display the suspended badge to all users. there is an ongoing discussion about that among flarum developers (link) which proposes making that an optional permission. the current workaround is this:

You can only create manually a group with a badge that should be assigned manually at the suspended user who for admin will have two badges: one visible to only admin and one visible to all.

and if the plan is to document each sanction, i also support using the forum sanction request section for that.

• @'FT ' There isn't, but we can make the warning plugins show warnings to everyone as if everyone was a staff member.

I'm not sure that it's a great idea yet, so would want people here to give a pretty compelling reason for making warning details public.

Wild1145

@'Ryan' I’m not sure that it’s a great idea yet, so would want people here to give a pretty compelling reason for making warning details public.

We already made in-game bans public (every time someone gets tempbanned a message appears, and we have indefinite ban requests) so why shouldn't warnings be public when we already made bans public?