Re-Introduce an SMP Server

• Object. We as a community can't keep switching our focus from one thing to another. It makes it hard for our developers to develop and it wastes time. Instead of picking goals and abandoning them for something else, we need to set a focus on one idea and actually meet those goals before we even think about opening an entirely new game mode.

• Also if history has shown us anything, its that the smp gamemode is a temporary form of hype. I actually tried to play the last two smps in hope that the playercount would rise again after a week or two but that didn't happen. If the smp is again remade, it will end like the first two did - dead in a week.

• I Object. TF needs to first get the freedom gamemode into a state where it does not need constant attention by developers because some plugin decided to kill itself (Looking at you, BukkitTelnet...) or need to be worked on constantly to remain in a stable condition. Given other gamemode proposals (anarchy) were rejected due to developer constraints and not being in the interest of the network, why should a gamemode like SMP be introduced? At this point, it is quite moot to add new gamemodes when the developers are strapped with trying to maintain existing gamemodes that need constant attention and by adding a new gamemode, the developers would be sidetracked from more important priorities that need their attention.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• Here’s my problem with stuff like this

Is this a cool idea? Absolutely, but it’s not TF in my opinion. The appeal of this server is in the freedom game mode, having operator status and being able to do what you want with few limitations. The uniqueness of this server is what’s kept it alive for a decade.

Anyone can make a fun little earth smp,

I could open that myself without putting in too much work, but it wouldn’t be unique or at all special.

It would likely just die after a week or so as other people are saying just because I doubt that after everyone is established on the smp there would be much to do, and I doubt it would appeal to any new players as they could go to a lot of places elsewhere and get the same game mode but with more players and more unique features and better moderation etc.

Not a bad idea, but just in my view does not work on this server.

• im lowkey sick of seeing this happen over and over

guys how many times are we gonna do this? smp has been consistently shown to be a temporary thing that ultimately in my eyes is just a waste of time that takes dev time (what little we already have) and just wastes it on something thats gonna fizzle out within days, its a good idea for a server (particularly what square and director were saying) but not tf

my advice would be for someone to make an associated community instead of us doing this because ultimately it's gonna just die after a short while lets be honest..

But ultimately i vouch. Let this happen again. Lets learn this same lesson yet again.

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

• Object, SMPs die out really fast and don't really gain much attention at all from the start.
    I just don't see it as a good idea since not many people played on it when we first released it, it was kind of a bad idea.

Hub Moderator

Admin

Rhythm Game Enthusiast

Owner @ [REDACTED]

• i would create a suggestion to where region flags can be re-added so that force gamemode can be enabled in order to use the unused terrain world as a smp for those who want to create smps but i'm too lazy
    it would be great if a forum admin can put this into a seperate thread though

edited my previous post to an object, thinning out our server playerbase isn't good if it's already thin enough

• I would need more context on this: Is PvP enabled? Is it a vanilla SMP or are there gonna be quirky plugins like SMPs like to do? Would there be a plugin to allow claim to stop griefing?

A fool's fool fools fools who foolishly accept the foolishness of a fool's fool.

• Going to bump again, this isn't something that we're ready to do right now for one thing, but there is also no real clear consensus on what people actually want from this, so I'm keen to have this fleshed out a bit and some consensus before we consider anything.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Object aside from the honeymoon period the recent SMP event in events-02 was dead. Our community is too small right now to successfully pull off running more than one server for consistent periods of time.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

• Official Post

I think as a permanent addition to the network, it's clear this is not viable long term. There are examples of good long living SMP's (DarthCraft back in the day comes to mind) but I don't think this community as it stands is going to gravitate towards that.

With that said, I am open to running SMP "Events" a bit like what I did with the Anarchy server and having longer slightly more polished game-modes running for a set number of weeks. It's something I plan to re-visit in the near future especially with us being in the summer months now and there tending to be a bit of an increase in players historically on the network towards the end of the year.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• wild1145 July 20, 2022 at 6:40 PM

Closed the thread.