Anarchy Server - Approval poll

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.

jwmphall As EMM, you should know features isn’t what’s hurting player’s interest in freedom. Uninvolved administration and bad mentality are. Admins who only ever talk in f1sc on discord, admins that join and go afk immediately, and admins that refuse to acknowledge newer players unless directly asked something.

I never said a lack of features is the problem, nor did the excerpt you quoted. I was actually forming a counterargument against that idea. Staff hospitality is nice and it is something we should work on, but it is not going to ultimately retain the playerbase since they just get bored due to a lack of gameplay objectives and interesting peer activity. A successful server has a good reason why players enjoy the gameplay rather than just a friendly staff team.

jwmphall I simply don’t know how you’ve come to this conclusion. We aren’t somehow going captivate a new audience by making a new gamemode.

I recommend you actually do your job as EMM and see what the playerbase wants. Put up a poll about how people first found TF to see what we can do to increase player count. Put up a poll asking people why they play TF so we can improve the experience for the people that do stay. It isn’t that hard. This whole mentality of one fix all is just idiotic.

This is literally part of why I am advocating for an Anarchy game mode.... It is a clear that the reason most people originally came here is because they were looking for some sort of "Free OP" or "freedom" experience in which to do what they please. If you don't already believe me or just know this from experience, I would be glad make a more up-to-date poll asking how people found the server. I believe Anarchy would help us finally deliver that promise so more new players would stay longer. As for the reason people play here now, it is very a mixed bag, especially since there are not really any structured gameplay objectives. I will try to gauge why the small community that is left here still stays, because the current community is important but honestly, from what I have seen, many of them are just enduring the boredom in unconventional and unusual ways (i.e. installing mods or literally just running around in circles at spawn) just to stay in touch with the community. We are going to need more than this group of people to really get the ball rolling. You're right, no one action is going to repair the server's playerbase issues, but with the current state of the server, it is unrealistic to expect that any marketing actions will have a significant effect on the playerbase. As I previously stated, people need more reason to stay online than just than the little things. There needs to be a gameplay-related reason for people to stay online to even begin to significantly address the retention issues.

• I don't think exploring other game modes is wrong. I'm just concerned about the fact the EMM is neglecting the freeOP server while this announcement makes it clear what's the current executives' scope.

Panther, if you don't feel like working for the freedom server, I advice to step down from your role so that someone else can take the job while you keep promoting or developing new game modes for the network.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

•   Tizz I am going to re-paste part of my post, since you still don't understand our options right now:

With the current state of the server, it is unrealistic to expect that any marketing actions will have a significant effect on the playerbase. As I previously stated, people need more reason to stay online than just than the little things. There needs to be a gameplay-related reason for people to stay online to even begin to significantly address the retention issues.

Telling me that my focus is supposed to be the freedom server is not going to suddenly remove the issues that make it impossible for anyone to effectively market. The freedom server has no form of unique or interesting gameplay nor does it have any actual objectives or reasons to stay on other than niche community-based things like guilds, which just isn't something that will get people interested enough on the server let alone outside the server to retain players. We need actually engaging gameplay first to be able to market the server at all, because even if more new players were to join due to an increased effort in advertising, they would leave in 5 minutes due to boredom.

TLDR: The Freedom server requires dev work that we cannot execute right now to in order for it to be marketed effectively. To improve player retention within our abilities, pursuing another gamemode is one of few options we have.

•   RedEastWood That's a misconception. Creating another gamemode requires setup, and a small amount of dev work, but it's doable for the people we are working with, and not nearly as much dev work that is present on the freedom server due to complications with TFM and the fact that the gamemode is not inherently interesting.

Panther We need actually engaging gameplay first to be able to market the server at all

You fix that with staff and players' attitude. A sandbox server with no set goal like freedom-01 can be interesting with the right people in it. An anarchy populated by a terrible playerbase will have the same retention issues.

•   Tizz Again, the "staff and players' attitude" isn't going to convince anyone to stay online longer, or be something that is marketable. Yes, sandbox can be interesting, but the things making it boring right now is a lack of variety from every single other creative server and TFM-related functionality issues that are restricting what everyone can do on the server, which both require dev effort to fix.

Panther Again, the “staff and players’ attitude” isn’t going to convince anyone to stay online longer

Are you sure about that? We have quite a lot of players who welcome new players by telling them how they'll be punished if they break the rules as the first thing they say to them. Now, while it's important to explain to players that we have rules, it's a poor mentality.

There's also a general mentality which I am maybe not immune from, where we automatically assume new players who join not long after a ban are bypassers. Or that people who talk a little bit funny are bypassers. I've seen you yourself accuse a player of being a ban bypasser and try to interrogate him or something despite others explaining evidence to the contrary.

Simply not doing that will make players stick around longer. Treating new players with respect and bringing them into the conversation and making them feel welcome does not require developer effort, or cost anything, but goes a big way in keeping them on the server, rather than just welcoming them with the same pasted message and not interacting any further until the rules are broken.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

•   erin I agree that the staff mentality is an issue here, but we can't expect an improvement in that department to retain players. What would that actually look like? "I stay on TotalFreedom because the staff chat with me!" Ok, sure, but 95% of people aren't going to play on a server just because of that.... it really would just improve the engagement for a few specific players from worse to bad. "Our staff will bring you into the conversation!" Are you sure? Most of the time, there is no coherent conversation because nobody has any interesting gameplay to talk about. And how is that marketable, anyway? "Come join us, and have a nice chat with our wonderful staff members!" is kind of a flaccid marketing claim. Every somewhat decent server has a conversation that its users can participate in (usually because that conversation is surrounding the gameplay, which is also supposed to be engaging!)

Panther (usually because that conversation is surrounding the gameplay, which is also supposed to be engaging!)

You're suggesting an anarchy server. Without further details, it's unclear what type of gameplay it's supposed to offer.

• Given the lack of overall consensus on this thread, and the fact the "Type" of anarchy game-mode isn't clear nor has community support (Half the people support FreeOP, some Survival, Some Creative, Some something else) it's not a suggestion I can currently support and it doesn't fit into the big picture plans we have for the first half of 2022.

An anarchy game-mode in the future is certainly a possibility, I've got some interesting ideas myself that are a bit more on the anarchy side that I think could be quite interesting, but with that said it's not something I think we have the capacity take on right now and with that in mind the suggestion is declined.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK