Use permission nodes properly and ditch "free-op"

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • As of the dev discussion held yesterday; this is more or less the direction we are headed.
    I do not propose we eliminate the freedom aspect (which I'm unclear on whether or not this was the idea here) but we definitely will be making freedom a secondary priority

• I'm pretty sure Video's idea was to change the technical side of freedom to an easier and more secure model (permission nodes), without changing the freedom ideology itself.

And yes, this game "mode" hasn't been sustainable in its current state for a while. If we can't attract and keep players with the existing model after updating to 1.17 and promoting in-game activities, I think it's ok to let TF go and do a new, different thing.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• I am going to bump this. If we really want things to happen with the freedom gamemode, this is a necessary step due to the modularity and reduction in dev work it would provide. I have already offered to assist the process of switching over to permission nodes instead of TFM if the suggestion were to be approved. Unless we are working with another game mode, it's time to take action on this.

Panther I have already offered to assist the process of switching over to permission nodes instead of TFM if the suggestion were to be approved.

Panther I would be willing to provide the server with the base setup for a LuckPerms-based permissions system. This would also include some bonus material, like configurations for things like voting menus that work with LuckPerms as well. It was made for Darkstone and it won’t be an exact fit for TF at first, but it would be much easier to start with.

I object if we’re just going to take Darkstone’s framework, it is wrong to just take someone else’s work and put it on this server.

•   RedEastWood I am not proposing we just plop it on the freedom server, I am proposing we use it as a base simply to eliminate a lot of the busy work that comes with setting it up. If nobody wants it, fine, it's not a necessary inclusion. I would still be happy to help set it up from scratch.

• So I am going to approve this suggestion, however it's approved as the ongoing strategy for TF in the longer term. This isn't (and really should not be) any sort of dramatic overnight change. There's plenty of work we can and should be doing I would suggest to work towards this. I'll have a conversation with videogamesm12 and Paldiu to see where we would want to make this change but I would suggest it's not something we want to be rushing in any case.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK