A discussion about boundaries

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • I cannot believe this needs saying

A certain type of joke has been brought my (and several others that I'm also talking on behalf of) attention in regards to personal boundaries. These jokes are generally "ironic" or satirical or whatever, which in itself is fine. Shit like that can be funny and in those cases, those jokes are fine. This post isn't to be policing humour or whatever and people shouldn't stop these jokes because of this

Now, I've noticed a certain trend that these posts just go that extra step further. For example, that post about Ryan on that stupid forum thing that was made a while back. Or today, where someone got added to a groupchat they shouldn't have been in as there was another individual in there, they then got several users pinging them going "pranked". The user then left because they were quite uncomfortable by this, just to be readded by one of the others.

Those two examples stick out because they both share something in common - someone was being made the butt of a joke that they really shouldn't have been involved with. And both jokes ended up making said person really uncomfortable, which in my view is completely unacceptable

Lads jokes are only funny if the other is also laughing. "Laughing with them, not at them" is a lesson taught to literal 7-year-olds. Please stop with this kind of humour that makes fun of other people without actually regarding what they're feeling, because the last time someone did prior to today, it almost ended with TF being deleted. There are boundaries to jokes, and personal shit (e.g. making fun of Ryan's appearance) is way beyond a boundary.

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

• I’m sorry I have to say this but the fact that our server’s community has come to this is appalling. Over almost 9 years would have never thought this is what I would see logging into the TF Forum.

By the way, agree with this post

• With the rise of ironic humor in this community, so has the lack of boundaries on what is considered funny and what is considered too far. The product of these two combined have created a toxic environment for many. This isn't a new problem. In fact, it's far from it. We've been dealing with this problem since 2019 and probably beyond. It's only gotten worse over the years.

Incidents caused by this very issue have occurred before. Look at the incident which nearly killed this server. Look at the January 2020 incident.There are plenty more examples of the ironic humor going too far, and we will continue to create more examples if nothing changes. We must do something to break this vicious cycle of people overstepping their boundaries with this shit if we want to have any chance of surviving as both a community and as a server.

I completely agree with this thread.

image.png

• I completely agree with this thread. Seriously, a line needs to be drawn because this shit's going to be what kills the server, not a lack of players and it came very close to doing just that which should have been enough of a warning that this type of "humour" (can it even be called that?) needs to stop; but we all know, nearly having the server shut down wasn't enough for people to get the message.

It should be painfully obvious that it isn't humour if the party you're "joking" about isn't laughing along with you.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png