Reform the Total freedom development & updating process.

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Hello, as some of you might know I'm a bleeding-edge software enthusiast, and I enjoy using the latest and greatest software in my day-to-day life. The FreeOP server seems to have a more conservative view on updating software due to fear of breakage, however I have an idea how we can make the server function better, while also maintaining stability.

1. Use the beta server more frequently.
      I haven't really seen the beta server be used as much for testing, so I'd like to suggest utilizing it to test TFM and other software builds before rolling them out to the main server.

2. Proper development cycle.
      TotalFreedom seems to have an unorganized and dysfunctional method of pushing updates to the main server. I've provided a simple flowchart to explain how I'd like to see the development cycle work for each of the TotalFreedom Plugins.

Weekly build from GitHub -> Perform quality check on beta server (this includes compatibility and general stability checks) -> Main server & GitHub releases page

For non-TF related software (e.g Paper) the flowchart can use the builds provided from the software author.

1. Move unnecissary features from TFM into an add-on plugin.
      Don't even try to argue the fact that TFM is bloated. It clearly no organization of what features should go into it. This chaotic manner of adding features causes bloat, disorganization, poor performance, and most importantly, breakages. It's safe to say that the more code you put into a piece of software the more potential issues you'll have. Things like integration with social media and fun features like the shop should be moved to a separate plugin to maintain a slim and useful main plugin for server owners who want a clean experience with the minimal amount of hastle.

This is about all I really have to say, hopefully this post can make some changes in the way TotalFreedom is managed and cared for. Thanks for reading this far, I typed this on my phone which is no fun at all 😅

• 1- I believe the beta server is being used much more, and is indeed planned to be used much more than it ever was, and as the team is starting to expand, more things will be tested on there.

2 - Agreed with Steven, plus, Wild has only just become the owner, this stuff takes time to do and we have a great plan of what's being worked on at the moment, along with priority levels and such.

3 - Completely object to this, it will create so much more work and hassle; to which I personally don't believe TFM is actually bloated, it is feature rich, for sure, however you can turn off or on certain features (discord verification enable/disable option coming v. soon once I fix something annoying + test it). If you're running it on your own server, you can delete as much 'bloat' as you want.

• If the developers aren't up to it, I'm perfectly fine with publishing builds for the TotalFreedom plugins.

In response to Dillon's third statement, I'm not sure what you consider bloat. Fun features like a shop and 4chan mode are things that I don't think server owners would appreciate having. There's too many extra features which work fine on TotalFreedom, however the extras should stay out of the main plugin. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, though!

• i vouch for all. especially the third one since i've spoken about this quite a bit. separating things like the masterbuilder shit, the shop shit, verification shit and the fun shit or anything like that in seperate addon plugins. helps with management and shit

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

@Reperak#2459 Use the beta server more frequently.
    I haven't really seen the beta server be used as much for testing, so I'd like to suggest utilizing it to test TFM and other software builds before rolling them out to the main server.

The beta server is very new, and something I've only created recently as part of my wider strategy to reform the development workflows through the server. It is however primarily being used for developers to test things before they go live, and that's likely to remain the case. It's not something we're wanting to actively encourage players to use generally, and for the most part will likely be restricted in terms of it's access. For every player on the beta server, that's one less player on the main Freedom server.

@Reperak#2459 Proper development cycle.
    TotalFreedom seems to have an unorganized and dysfunctional method of pushing updates to the main server. I've provided a simple flowchart to explain how I'd like to see the development cycle work for each of the TotalFreedom Plugins.

It's ultimately impossible to mandate a development schedule when you're working with a team of folks who kindly give up their time to develop for the server. I am however working on a process to start to make these things smoother, unfortunately when you lose your entire development team within days of taking over as owner, it's pretty hard to do... We should start to see a more managed and sane approach to releases throughout the servers going forward.

@Reperak#2459 Weekly build from GitHub -> Perform quality check on beta server (this includes compatibility and general stability checks) -> Main server & GitHub releases page

It's a lot of work for very little gain. Cutting edge can be great, but it tends to require a considerable amount more work and to be honest, I don't think people are going to see the benefits that you think they will...

@Reperak#2459 Move unnecissary features from TFM into an add-on plugin.
    Don't even try to argue the fact that TFM is bloated. It clearly no organization of what features should go into it. This chaotic manner of adding features causes bloat, disorganization, poor performance, and most importantly, breakages. It's safe to say that the more code you put into a piece of software the more potential issues you'll have. Things like integration with social media and fun features like the shop should be moved to a separate plugin to maintain a slim and useful main plugin for server owners who want a clean experience with the minimal amount of hastle.

What you regard "Unnecessary" are ultimately features required to enable the Freedom server and the Server in it's current format. As I've said on other threads, TFM is going to be built to serve the needs of TF, and while that does mean there are things in there that other servers don't need, that is frankly not my problem, and not something the developers should be spending time un-picking. If you want to run other things on your server, then by all means customise TFM to meet your own needs...

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• I think I've already made my points here. There is reform underway but not necessarily in line with this thread at the moment.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK