your opinion on windows 11

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Opinion on Windows 11 38

1. Windows 11 is the best I've seen (3) 8%
    2. Not too shabby if I do say so myself (5) 13%
    3. I'm indifferent about it (11) 29%
    4. I don't like Windows 11 (11) 29%
    5. I hate everything about the "Windows" operating systems (8) 21%

sure whatever

• the big context menu thats optimized for touchscreens is absolute trash
    the explorer bar... well, at least it doesnt insult the other "windows" systems as much as the context menu
    the taskbar being centered... well im sorry but im used to icons going left and everything else right
    and you need a more advanced computer for it (if your existing one is a literal potato)
    its also more sluggish than 10. much more.

i dont think its ready for release right now

• i've been an insider for a bit on actual hardware since the program actually started.

personally i do like the center shit and the new start menu over 10 and i think in some cases does work better. although i am fairly worried in the state its in or is going to be on release. im expecting quite the controversy about the system requirements and start and the context menus having another fuckin menu for the old shit etc etc

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

• The taskbar sucks balls. I don't like how it's centred and really not customisable, the forcing of microsoft edge on people (making people jump through more hoops to set their default browser to their own preference) and the ridiculous system requirements that will likely force people to buy new hardware if they want to use 11, contributing to e-waste. Also, when I tested it on a VM, the dark mode still is inconsistent af.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• No matter what gimmick Microsoft tries to bandwagon onto, the problem is the same. Windows in general has gone downhill significantly since Windows 8 in terms of design, customizability, user-friendliness, performance, consistency, stability, aesthetic, and ethics. You still get the same amount of bloat, consistency problems, badly designed UI, dubiously ethical practices, and lackluster customizability as before. The whole operating system's design looks like an attempt to copy the designs of both Chrome OS and Mac OS, especially with the centered taskbar.

You know what made iterations of Windows like Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP so great? Their UI was designed extremely well, they were much more customizable, they didn't shove bullshit like Netflix or Candy Crush down your throat, they were innovative, and most importantly they ran on pretty much anything you threw at it. None of these are the case for Windows 11. What really sucks is the fact that they're forcing you to get something that supports both TPM 2.0 and processors manufactured after October 2017. Older computers that are otherwise fully capable of running modern versions of Windows (such as my old desktop, which was manufactured in \~2012) will be cut off from being able to upgrade, and be stuck running a version of Windows that will be discontinued in 4 years. The number of electronics that will be unsupported when that happens will be gigantic, and will contribute greatly to the amount of e-waste on the planet.

When Windows 11 is officially released, I will not move to it. I will remain on my existing installation of Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC, because it's reliable as-is and there isn't a reason to fix something that isn't broken. However, if I had a choice for what operating system I could use, I would without a doubt go back to Windows 7 with its beautifully-crafted simple Aero interface. No matter how hard Microsoft tries, they will never be able to top the UI designs they had in the early 2000s, especially these:

https://videogamesm12.me/rELCcIuNpgkM.png
    https://videogamesm12.me/hFzrDDoFyEhp.png
    https://videogamesm12.me/cXFgiGlRsXfM.png

image.png

• Windows 11 is just 2000 with some new lipstick. If it's due on October 5th, I don't have high hopes for it. It should be delayed until at least next year. I have the Insider build on my computer and while there aren't any bugs, everything just feels slower to do. The new context menus in explorer genuinely feel like they take more time to open, and you have to click on the "show more options" to see the original context menu. This is just making Windows 11 look good for the promotional pictures, but when you try to actually get work done, it now takes twice as long. I'll be staying on 10 for my desktop. My laptop is running the ARM64 version of Windows 11. It's pretty fast especially for being in a VM, but the lack of thought into the new design really makes things slower. Windows 10 may not have looked nice, especially compared to some Linux distros or macOS, but it certainly was functional for what it was. Apple is in a really good spot with their Macs, especially after ditching Intel for their own chips. For the first time in a LONG time, when you buy a Mac, you actually get what you pay for.

Also, Microsoft can't even seem to center the taskbar

lyicx personal preference

the point of this thread IS personal preference

lyicx i dont know what evidence you have to suggest it does more tracking. out of the box 10 does a fair amount

theres a feature called "telemetry". get used to it. a lot of microsoft products also track you now, so i dont see why it doesnt have more tracking.

Alco_Rs11 The taskbar sucks balls. I don't like how it's centred and really not customisable

customization isn't one of windows' perks. get used to it.
    (you can send the icons to the left using settings (or registry if settings isnt your thing) or you can center it. i prefer mine at the left. it looks good and requires 0 effort)

Alco_Rs11 the forcing of microsoft edge on people

did you mean: the forcing of more bloatware on people? internet explorer works perfectly well, and it's very lightweight, so i dont see a reason for microsoft edge to be preinstalled

Alco_Rs11 the ridiculous system requirements that will likely force people to buy new hardware if they want to use 11

built-in security was basically non-existent prior to windows... what, xp? anyways, i understand microsoft's decision to force security, but that should be optional. it shouldnt be completely REQUIRED for the installation.

Alco_Rs11 the dark mode still is inconsistent af.

always has been.

videogamesm12 I would without a doubt go back to Windows 7 with its beautifully-crafted simple Aero interface

i would too, except i dont have any way to install it (no image, no computer running windows 7... blah blah blah)

@'r00t' theres a feature called "telemetry". get used to it. a lot of microsoft products also track you now, so i dont see why it doesnt have more tracking.

mans honestly acting like i didn't know this was a thing in most software especially already in 10 and even below that

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

• Since the system requirements are being brought up, I want to point out that most if not all of them can be bypassed, such as the TPM and modern CPU requirements, so the most vocal complainers will be able to have it their way. It remains to be seen if the inability to upgrade old devices will drive the sales of new computers, because my bet is that the average person does not actually care that Windows 11 is a thing.