Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • A while ago I made a similar suggestion and Ryan asked for a better proposal so here it is.

I'm suggesting a Team Fortress 2 Network called "Total Fortress" which would feature a few types of servers: Jailbreak, Deathrun, Murder Mystery and servers with regular TF2 gamemodes. All the servers would have the Taunt Menu (!taunts) plugin and regular gamemode servers would have the Roll The Dice (!rtd) plugin. Occasionally random messages such as "Check out our Minecraft server! IP: play.totalfreedom.me" would appear in the chat.

I think this network would be a good idea because it would both bring new players to the Minecraft network and give the current players more things to play.

• man i dont doubt that it'd have more traction given that TF2 is free to play. i just think that historically we've tried branching out to other games and long term they lose traction and eventually a waste of computing power and i dont think our community is large enough to be suitable long term

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

• most TF2 networks with gamemodes like this are literally all identical and I can't remember any specific one as they get lost throughout the weeks

coming from a guy with around 5k hours (over 2 accounts) in TF2, having a generic !taunts, !rtd server will have basically 0 traction because most people sort community servers by how full they are.
    many servers are popular because they always have been, e.g. skial; they are a reputable trade server; they are from a popular youtuber; or they bring something new to the table (Uncle Dane's new servers are a resultant of that, but also because of his advertisement).
    having 0-3 players on with a rare spike of 6 players will. not. attract. new. players. i've said this for the gmod server and i'll say it again: if we are branching out to new servers we need something special, totalfreedom was made popular because it was unique in it being the first freeop.

neutral
    also i'm pretty sure nobody plays deathrun and murder mystery on TF2 anymore lol

•   square ive seen quite a lot of active deathrun servers these days, also theres only a few murder mystery servers in the entirety of the community servers so im unsure if making another one would be good or bad (i havent actually been looking at murder mystery player counts recently because the last time ive played murder mystery was around 5 months ago)

•   lyicx
    Often servers with low to no players, don't get player spikes, but sometimes they do get a few players wich will attract more people to start playing on it.
    And due to the messages in chat (Example: "Check out our Minecraft Server! IP:play.totalfreedom.me"), they might be encouraged to visit the Minecraft Server too.

PS: I Vouch.

•   lyicx by your logic even the bigger servers would never even start getting players if there were 0 players at online at the time, it doesnt work like that though, all it takes is for one person to join a server and in a matter of minutes another player will join, then another. i have never seen anyone in tf2 talking about the networks and im pretty sure people just join whatever server they think seems cool (also getting the first few players wouldnt be a problem for the servers because it already has a community)

•   ThePyroManActualAccount

lyicx

what lyicx says, throwing together a server and hoping people will join will never create a sustainable playerbase ((((HENCE MY PREDICTION ON THE GMOD SERVER!))))
    you can't just stick on a few commands to a server and expect people to come back:

ThePyroManActualAccount the bigger servers would never even start getting players if there were 0 players at online at the time

the bigger servers are bigger servers, they have laid the foundations for being the largest networks and have rewarded players for returning to their platforms.
    they were the first to make these gamemode servers and that's why they are big.
    large networks will either have servers with 1-2 players or fully maxed out, that's just how it is. it's not fun to play with only 3 people unless your friends all join an empty server.

ThePyroManActualAccount ive seen quite a lot of active deathrun servers these days

yeah thats the issue, you want to make a server which has been copy and pasted a thousand times, these servers purely get traction from their current player count which of course fluctuates.
    by actually making something new, you can get the players more easily or atleast stand out from the crowd.
    making a new server is never as cut and dry as "getting new players" because it will mainly just be our current players playing on a server that isn't our actual server.

i could probably count like a hundred !rtd cp orange x3 servers

ThatOneLiviRealAccount they might be encouraged to visit the Minecraft Server too.

getting a player from one eco-system to another is very difficult, advertising a game on another "might encourage" but i doubt it works in practice

• I'm open to more feedback on this one.

In the short - medium term my thought is I'd like to see @"lyicx"#21 running some events around TF2 and actually seeing if there is a demand for this sort of thing in any way shape or form, if there is a genuine demand it's something I'm happy to look at in the future though.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• i do think i need to see more interest in this as an event first before anything. im not going to fuck around with shit i have no clue about for the sake of hitting a maximum of 4 people. and thats a strong unignorable gut feeling i have

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey