Migrate from Jira to Taiga

• So I've had a look and the best I can find is a script from 5 years ago to convert things, and I'm honestly not 100% sure it will actually even work. I'll keep looking but it's looking unlikely that there will be a clean move from Jira...

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

•   StevenNL2000 A few reasons

1 being this:

Important changes to our server and Data Center products

We’ve ended sales for new server licenses, and will end support for server on February 2, 2024. We’re continuing our investment in Data Center with several key improvements. Learn what this means for you

2: I've ran them before, while it's not impossible, it's a lot more maintenance overhead than I'd like

3: There is actually a license fee ( $42,000 USD per year because you can't buy Server licenses) which I can't afford and am not willing to pay...

It's not impossible to move to self hosted right now (We have a server license we could renew and it'd put me back $40 odd because it's 2-3 years out of date), but it's something I'm really keen to avoid, as I say I ran one for a while for ATLAS originally before moving over to Atlassian Cloud and part of the reason for moving over to the cloud versions was because of the maintenance cost of my time maintaining the instance...

Wild1145

@'Ryan' it turns out Tiago doesn't support the newer versions of Jira, and never supported importing from the Jira cloud

If I'm understanding this part correctly, wouldn't it work to temporarily set up an older version of self-hosted Jira, import everything from the cloud into it, and then immediately migrate it to Taiga?

•   StevenNL2000 Potentially, though at that point if we could easily export the data out of Jira cloud and into a "Server / Data Center" version we could probably try using one of the scripts we've got on Github to convert the XML output into a Tiaga format, but to do that I need to re-create a number of current Projects because they're not supported in the exporter tool... Will give it a go and see.

Wild1145

• So I've spent the last hour trying to get a Ruby script from 5 years ago to play nice, with no current success unfortunately...

If anyone knows some Ruby and can help me out with https://github.com/lastlink/TAIGA-JIRA-IMPORTER I'd really appreciate it. I've been able to "Fix" some issues but Ruby isn't something I know or really understand and I'm well past the point at which I know what I'm doing!

If we can't find suitable support then we will potentially move some smaller Jira projects over by hand and the Freedom Server and other larger projects will just have to remain on Jira.

Wild1145

• So I'm going to pause the work I've done on this as I'd like more community input. In short, I don't think Tiaga is the right tool for what we need, it's becoming more and more clear the longer I play with a test project in the instance I stood up.

Some initial thoughts on what makes it less than suitable.

1. The weird split between "Features" and "Bugs" make it impossible to actually gague progress.
    2. They have no concept of versions / releases from what I can see, certainly not in the same way that Jira does
    3. They have no concept of components, something we use a fair bit currently to help identify within a server / game mode what plugin it impacts.
    4. We will lose all abilities to effectively report progress, in terms of releases, tickets outstanding and just about everything. You can export a CSV per ticket type but that's about it.
    5. It seems really slow despite throwing a lot of server spec at it (Sure this could be fixed, but it's damn annoying).

With that in mind, and that being what I've found with some light playing with the software tonight I'd like to re-visit if this is the right choice, and if people have other ideas of software that could be used in place of Jira potentially.

In the mean time I will see if we can get an open source license from Atlassian (Doubtful due to the TFM license but can try) which might help solve a lot of these issues...

Wild1145

• I've submitted a request to Atlassian for an open source license. Let's see if we get much joy.

For the next 2 weeks you should all be able to see the issue list here https://forum.totalfreedom.me/d/1846-totalfreedom-jira-tasks so any help you can offer would be much appreciated!

Wild1145

• So there is a Tiaga instance stood up, but I think I'll end up retiring it anyway now.

Atlassian have given us an open source license for Jira & Confluence which is really great and will let us continue to support access to tickets without logging in, and allow us to add a more significant number of folks in the future to help us better organise.

Hopefully that's solved what the actual crux of this suggestion was about, so will close this now as approved, though actually delivering the ask via Jira rather than Tiaga.

Wild1145