Hub Mod App - FromTimeToTime

• What is your Minecraft name and time zone where you normally are online? (e.g. GMT+1:00 or MST). - Your Minecraft name must match your forum name or your Minecraft name must be in your forum profile.

according to plan, i am most active in the late evenings EST and on weekends. this is when most british players are sleeping.

What is your Discord account details (Note that being in the TF Discord Guild (or server, whatever you wanna call it...) is mandatory) - Post your username#discriminator here

What date did you first join the Total Freedom forum? (MM/DD/YY). - Required 1 month forum registration.

18 july 2021. i joined the server a week before that.

How often can you be on the server to perform administrative duties? State either daily, several times a week, once or twice a week, or less than once a week. We realize that school or work will prevent constant service.

several times a week

What describes you best? Choose student, employed, unemployed, or retired.

student, currently in session

What continent do you live on? (e.g. N. America, Europe, Asia, Australia/Oceania).

hamburger land

What personal qualities do you have that would make you a good moderator? (Answer with a short paragraph).

i have a strong natural desire to get to the bottom of things. in my own opinion, i have strong reasoning skills, above average patience, and above average ambition. i am a very principled person. i think /warn and /smite are underused.

Can you handle being a staff member without it negatively affecting your school grades, work, family, real life, etc? (Yes or No). If no, your application will be instantly denied.

yes

Are your accounts secure? Meaning are your passwords strong, not easily brute-forced, and not used across multiple websites?

yes

Other notes

reasons you may want to object: generally, arrogance. sometimes i'm more logic-driven than compassionate, which keeps me from getting through to less patient people, which is no help for de-escalating trolls. i hold no reservations against being critical of the server administration, or even friends, and i will defend my beliefs even if i stand alone. i overreacted in this post without having heard and considered both sides, something @"RedEastWood"#47 rightfully calls disrespectful and uninformed. i agree, and i agree video took it too far, but i have no regrets about standing up for a friend. i have also been unfairly rude to petya lately (related thoughts). i am too new for most people to know me or trust me.

reasons you may want to vouch: the server isn't my life or my childhood. i am applying because i notice banned players using the hub as another place to be abusive, and not enough activity or interest there to stop it. the hub shouldn't act as purgatory, it should be a launchpad for the rest of the network and make a good first impression. i'm not currently interested in any roles with any more trust or power than hub mod. i have no bans on record, and 6 kicks, some or most being joke punishments. i hope that my forum posts have given players a good enough idea of who i am. my views align with the administration's more often than not. i prefer to talk things out. i'm new but i'm getting the hang of the server culture/climate.

• Man, what I would give to be around more people who aren't afraid speak their mind. You put that as a bad quality about yourself but I really don't think it is. That on top of the fact that you've already helped me and the rest of the staff out with catching rulebreakers, and I think you're ready for the position. Vouch.

Also, hope you're enjoying the weather in hamburger land.

• Vouch. You have multiple attractive traits I wish more people had.

1. You're very helpful and more than willing to explain an issue or solution in depth. Good examples of this trait includes (but not limited to) this thread you made detailing an issue you had with one of the ban appeal questions, this post which explains where and what needs to be poked to implement an idea I had given, and this post, which details your idea for a solution which includes its benefits and problems.

2. You speak your mind about things, even when you have the unpopular opinion. In addition, you stand up for yourself and others even as a lone wolf. In other words, you've got guts.

3. As shown by many statements you've made in your application, you admit to your own mistakes. That's unfortunately very hard to come by nowadays.

image.png

Panther You put that as a bad quality about yourself but I really don't think it is

in many cases honesty is the best policy. i listed it as a negative only because people with power do not appreciate their authority being questioned. i wanted to acknowledge that in a respectful way, but also that i am not going to change that about myself anytime soon. if that reminds people too much of mosley fighting to be able to say slurs, they should object.

• i would like to ask forum mods+ that no matter what happens below, please consider this is a legitimate response on a legitimate application.

RedEastWood more patience, fairness, and tact on my part. even though i was curious for more information, i should have given it at least 2-3 more days to bump. i didn't need to tag you specifically, and if i was going to mention you by name i should have phrased my request in a more tactful and less accusatory way. i was acting biased before all of the facts were out and that was unfair to you. i perceived your lack of a response up to that point as you intentionally making him wait, which was a risky and misguided assumption.

however i wish your response had more of those qualities too. your response "Do you get off to this lol" was not in line with the high standards you talk about holding admins to, it was a low blow and you know that. i should not have sat back and taken it, i should have pointed it out there and then. i didn't do that because i was more concerned about resolving video's problem, but in the future i don't intend to let you step on me or others without very good reason, and i encourage others to do the same. this stands entirely separate from whether my application goes through.

we could be very good friends one day. i am critical of you right now, but we have similar traits and i could use more people like you in my life. i don't agree with how i have seen you treat people here sometimes, but i can tell you have very high ambition and that you have a grand vision for the server's future which i admire. i am friendly with panther so far, but as part of my principles i keep even friends/allies in check and i expect the same of them. i would like to see a mutually friendly and respectful relationship between us, but i must first be clear that we're equals and that from day to day your position on this minecraft network should not have any bearing on our relationship, or your relationship with any of the other players here that you have a problem with. if this conversation seems to derail the thread i'm happy to continue this conversation elsewhere either in private or in public.

FromTimeToTime however i wish your response had more of those qualities too. your response "Do you get off to this lol" was not in line with the high standards you talk about holding admins to, it was a low blow and you know that. i should not have sat back and taken it, i should have pointed it out there and then. i didn't do that because i was more concerned about resolving video's problem, but in the future i don't intend to let you step on me or others without very good reason, and i encourage others to do the same. this stands entirely separate from whether my application goes through.

we could be very good friends one day. i am critical of you right now, but we have similar traits and i could use more people like you in my life. i don't agree with how i have seen you treat people here sometimes, but i can tell you have very high ambition and that you have a grand vision for the server's future which i admire. i am friendly with panther so far, but as part of my principles i keep even friends/allies in check and i expect the same of them. i would like to see a mutually friendly and respectful relationship between us, but i must first be clear that we're equals and that from day to day your position on this minecraft network should not have any bearing on our relationship, or your relationship with any of the other players here that you have a problem with. if this conversation seems to derail the thread i'm happy to continue this conversation elsewhere either in private or in public.

This is irrelevant. This is your application, not Red's. I don't see how it was necessary to write paragraphs about how what someone said is hypocritical or whatever.

Neutral (FORMERLY, SEE BELOW). I'm questioning your judgement atm.

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

Luke Neutral. I'm questioning your judgement atm.

i would appreciate your objection as more valuable feedback if that's the case. please don't vote people you don't trust into positions of power, even if it's hub mod.

i was asked an open-ended question, how i wish that interaction had gone differently. i answered and detailed why i thought that. if i were red, i'd find that much more helpful than "i'll do better next time". i found everything i said relevant to the discussion. ping me on discord in a public discussion channel to transparently discuss this further.

FromTimeToTime i would appreciate your objection as more valuable feedback if that's the case. please don't vote people you don't trust into positions of power, even if it's hub mod.

i was asked an open-ended question, how i wish that interaction had gone differently. i answered and detailed why i thought that. if i were red, i'd find that much more helpful than "i'll do better next time". i found everything i said relevant to the discussion. ping me on discord

And I would appreciate that you actually respect my vote instead of telling me what/what not to think. I couldn't care less if you'd prefer a particular vote, feedback is feedback and if you think its more 'valuable' as an objection then you likely aren't actually taking it into account.

You didn't need to bring up red's actions because they aren't relevant to this application, they're his actions and not yours. Regardless of what he did, I couldn't care less, they don't belong in justification for your actions. If his actions aren't justifying your actions, why are you mentioning it?

• i have changed to an objection. user can be condescending, rude, and stubborn. i don't like the idea of having someone on the team who keeps pinging people at 1am to try and argue with them on Discord, in this case me, despite the fact I said "its late i'm not arguing". someone who makes it a point to argue with anyone who gives criticism shouldn't be on the staff team here, hub or not.

if you think this is also me just saying this because im salty that he argued with me then like take a gander at the posts above where red made a point and the user in question decided to tell red about how red is hypocritical. just because he put it formally doesn't mean what he's doing is okay. criticism is an essential part of being staff here given how much shit they are given, and someone with the inability to take it shouldn't be staff here

for reference

here the user is saying that my vote was apparently out of spite because i don't like them despite the fact that i voted neutral, meaning that they don't see criticism as being anything but out of spite. i say this because i can tell you i do not remember interacting with this user once prior to this incident, meaning that i am not emotionally invested in my vote

same as above. user doesn't seem to understand that criticism matters even if it is only one person saying this. apparently it don't matter because it's only me with the opinion

however the crux of my problem is here

the user seems to think that my vote/opinion and subsequently the criticism is irrational since i didn't argue on Discord overnight to defend it. it just goes to show that this user isn't suited for a staff role here given their conduct and general incompetency in the area of taking criticism.

now, before you say "but luke u didnt do read!!" i don't have to fucking read cuz this isn't my application and this isn't me selling myself, it isn't my responsibility to look good or even competent, but it is yours.

i'm not gonna argue this either; reply on here or on Discord, either way it shall be ignored.

• You've taken a rather unusual approach to criticism. How do you plan to de-escalate situations with people who are not willing to consider a lecture on rational thought? I'm mainly concerned about disagreements with other staff members, not so much rulebreakers.

•   StevenNL2000 in the best case, saying things in as few words as possible, as fairly as possible. if i get stonewalled, i have to wait until i have new info or their cooperation, whichever happens first. directly engaging any further makes things worse.

whenever relevant, it keeps things moving to hold those conversations publicly for transparency. speaking of which, i've been talking to red about this privately by his request.

update: during the private interaction he did not act in good faith, and this was shortly before he stepped down. his second to last response in particular was immensely disrespectful, paranoid, and threatening. i believe i acted respectfully and appropriately, and i apologized and expressed remorse for my earlier public actions. i cannot at all endorse trusting him with power in the future. i can no longer trust him enough to be able to converse privately any further. i hope his choice to step down was a reflection on that disturbing conversation. i gave it an honest effort to patch things up but he is closed-minded about working toward a better relationship.

Luke This is irrelevant. This is your application, not Red's. I don't see how it was necessary to write paragraphs about how what someone said is hypocritical or whatever.

Being able to help or care about other people is what makes a great admin (or mod in this case). I say, this is actually relevant because it demonstrates his ability to help others. We need more staff members who are less about just punishing rule-breakers and more about helping the members of the community, and the community itself. Thusly, I vouch.

characterslimits Being able to help or care about other people is what makes a great admin (or mod in this case). I say, this is actually relevant because it demonstrates his ability to help others. We need more staff members who are less about just punishing rule-breakers and more about helping the members of the community, and the community itself. Thusly, I vouch.

yeah maybeso but it doesn't belong in this thread; the comments are to discuss his behaviour, nobody elses.

• Please update your application to include your timezone as the first question requires.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK