Prioritize getting a panel

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.

FromTimeToTime that introducing docker into the mix would make the server a lot easier to manage at the root access level

It really wouldn't. It adds extra complexity and to be brutally honest, doesn't give us any benefits. We're not trying to dynamically scale our capacity, or run multiple identical copies of the same environment. The current setup gives us a much greater level of flexibility that we actually need.

FromTimeToTime but it was also mentioned that the server hardware won't support docker.

It's not strictly true. The technology (OpenVZ) does as of a couple of years ago support docker, and I run docker inside some of my OpenVZ containers for very specific things that are easier to do this way. The way some things like Petro use docker doesn't play as nice though.

FromTimeToTime also, i sent a few security suggestions to ryan.wild@[atlas website] 20 days ago because that was listed as a security contact in a forum thread. should i use os-security-reports instead?

It was honestly probably ignored, if it wasn't coming from a reputable e-mail address / someone I recognised and all that, it will have gone to spam.

If there are security issues that are genuine threats, os-security-reports[AT]atlas-media[dot]co[dot]uk is the e-mail to use to report those.

If they are suggestions around improving how TF handles it's security, then forum posts are the most appropriate way to do it, because TF's security is linked, but not the same as ATLAS's wider security posture. It's also worth noting that our approach to security evolves over time, and we don't generally publish the exact security lock down information for our hosts, things have changed more than a couple of times since I took over as we've evolved onto different setups and different requirements have come up.

FromTimeToTime with the panel, the server, and the website in the same docker network, they could seamlessly interact, allowing for a schematic system and anything else you would want to add.

It also introduces a single point of failure for the entire network, and would require a substantial single KVM VPS to make it work properly or again, you go back to the same issues we already have, and it defeats the point. But again, with our current direction of travel I see no reason why Docker is the better choice over what we have.

FromTimeToTime the panel could be behind an IP whitelist

This is really really bad security practice, and breaks both the models of zero trust networking along with NCSC Published guidance around security policy.

FromTimeToTime have its own auth just to be safe

Which unfortunately introduces the exact issues I've referenced in replies to Video.

FromTimeToTime the only thing is to do that we might need to abandon one or more of our providers, like OVH or Hetzner.

Given we only use a single provider (Superior-Networks), and that won't be changing, this would either be a blocker or non-issue.

FromTimeToTime as an op, this is beneficial because the server would be able to restart itself unless manually stopped

It already does this with the current setup.

FromTimeToTime and when bugs are reported, devs could more easily debug them in the panel.

This is exactly what we want to avoid, we have a development server for a very good reason...

Telesphoreo Docker doesn't work with OpenVZ. If you go to the Superior Networks website you'll see that the vps's use OpenVZ.

I have covered this in the earlier reply on this post so won't re-hash that.

Telesphoreo That's why I theorized it because I have no idea if wild is using OpenVZ or not for TF or just the Superior Networks servers.

TF is on OpenVZ and for now would have to stay there, at least for Freedom-01, I am looking to start moving VPS's over to KVM subject to there being no hick-ups, and some TF Servers like the GMOD were on KVM anyway. Freedom-01 unfortunately has a rather unpredictable world growth size and so being able to quickly and easily change the disk quotas without needing to do higher risk activities such as re-partitioning disks which can be time consuming and generally requires an outage.

Telesphoreo The reason it doesn't affect other companies like OVH VPSs is because they use KVM.

Most don't actually use KVM, a lot have weird hybrids. AWS for example have used Citrix, Xen, KVM and are now running a custom hybrid. But they generally give you as a user the benefits of pure KVM.

Telesphoreo The difference is that instead of a shared kernel, each instance can have their own kernel (I think?).

Yes, it's exactly this. It's also "Fully isolated" from the host machine, which has pro's / con's depending on what you're after. For TF given I run the host and the VPS's having it not fully isolated up to now has allowed us to much more effectively scale the server up.

Telesphoreo Generally speaking KVM is the best way to go

For most things I do agree, I'm less confident on that being the right position for the Freedom gamemode unless we went back to regular world wipes, which is something the community really doesn't want.

Sorry this reply came later than some of the others, it was a bit more technical and I wanted to be at my PC to reply rather than trying to do it on my phone!

For those interested, Superior Networks is currently looking at moving the workloads off of OpenVZ - https://twitter.com/Wild1145/status/1431022505079316481 - It's just going through some testing at the moment to ensure that it is the right thing for what we want to do and that there isn't a better option to give us the best mix of performance, scalability and cost effective business.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @"videogamesm12"#4 I am yet to understand how the discord bot is at all replaceable with a panel, and if it’s not - I don’t understand why you’re comparing the two. Your entire initial post is essentially telling us the flaws with our discord setup so far, but I can assure you the discord bot will not be put out of service just because we have a panel.

You will essentially be doing the exact same thing on the panel that you do on discord. Stop/start functions are the same, you have console access, and on top of that you have handy discord sanctions available too.

•   RedEastWood The suggestion isn't to completely replace the Discord bot with a panel or put it out of service. The suggestion is to move the whole "manage the Minecraft server" role the Discord bot serves to a dedicated panel. Under the Seth era, the TotalFreedom bot would communicate with the panel and use its own dedicated account to do its tasks.

The difference between the Discord bot and a dedicated panel is the point of failure called Discord. If a situation were to occur in which the TotalFreedom bot becomes unavailable in some capacity (e.g. it deletes the whole server again, Discord goes under unexpectedly, the bot gets banned), then it becomes impossible for us to properly manage the server in the event it needs to be restarted or manually stopped. If we had a panel, we wouldn't be relying on a third party service like Discord to enable access to server controls, as the panel would work independently from that.

You can argue that it opens up another attack vector, but I'd say relying on a Discord bot (especially one where the main defense is an easily bypassed role check) opens a far worse attack vector than a panel. Why, you may ask? Multiple reasons, actually.

• A panel would not be accessible to anyone who wants it. You would need an account created for you by someone with permissions to do so. As the Discord is publicly accessible, anyone can create an account and use a privilege escalation method such as a backdoored bot to give themselves Senior Admin. Most attacks involving a panel would require the use of an already existing account.

• Discord is not open source, meaning we're basically relying on Discord being secure (I'll touch on that next) without knowing what actually makes it tick. If there is a security vulnerability in Discord, the only ways we'd know is if we were the first to be attacked, if we were notified about it by Discord themselves, or if someone reported it publicly.

• Discord's security is notoriously terrible. I won't go too in-depth about this but I will say that even with 2FA, someone other than you can get into your account and wreck havoc.

image.png

• Object, you can keep bugging for it all you want.. but the points made still stand. I'm not objecting against a panel, but rating it as anything above low - mid-priority is a no-go. The discord bot works fine, the security risks still persist if a panel was issued, and the discord bot can handle much more than the panel can.

•   Shdwo I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I'm not sure where you got that a Discord bot can do more than a panel? A Discord bot can't have FTP / a web file manager, full server backups, database management, granular user permissions, scheduled power actions and port / network management. Not saying we'd use every feature from a panel (Pterodactyl I'm comparing to, even though the features would be helpful for TF), but objectively a panel such as Pterodactyl can achieve more than a Discord bot.

• @"Ryan"#1 Throughout the entire thread, you have failed to provide examples that prove that using a bot is more secure than using a panel. On the other hand, we have provided many examples and evidence that a panel is more secure than the bots we use. To me, it seems like you're just procrastinating to not install a panel on to the server.

With that all in mind, I vouch to adding a panel.

•   characterslimits I have on this thread and every other thread about this explained my point in reasonable detail.

But as I've already said this isn't happening, and I don't see the point in wasting people's time discussing something I had decided prior to the thread being created.

Denied, again.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK