[Feedback] What do you want to see from TF?

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  •   Miasmus Given that of the 188 issues currently on the backlog only 36 are "low" or "Lowest" priority, I'm not really sure how much difference that will make.

Breakdown for those curious:

Highest - 0
    High - 18
    Medium - 141
    Low - 26
    Lowest - 10

A lot of the medium ones are around code quality so probably could be de-prioritised down to a low, but a medium generally is what that sort of stuff should be...

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

•   Miasmus Those suggestions are included in those numbers I referenced above... Each suggestion is broken down into 1 or more tickets for our dev team.

It's great saying "Let's spend more time on them" but the reality is, we need more developers if you want more stuff done quicker... It's not like the dev's haven't got stuff to do and other than some stuff to keep us up to date (Like the 1.17 update work) it's spent on player requested enhancements.

Wild1145

• Personally, in the long term I really don't care where the server heads, as long as the freedom server and the community is still here. It's not really what the server is about, but who is in it. The only reason I prefer the freeop is because I can share items and build with other people.

• Here's my two cents.

• One thing that I suggest, which is for admins is to get a proper panel system. Using a discord bot is inherently dangerous and @"videogamesm12"#4 has informed me that the discord got wiped because of a bot breach which could of been prevented or at least migitated with a proper panel. Something like this could make such incidents entirely avoidable or reduce the scale of damage because you are not entrusting a bot (with full admin rights) to handle all discord and server things such as a console and integrations. A panel also could allow for more customisable permissions for admins.
    • In regards to the server experience itself, we should not try and diversify to gamemodes that are far too common (theres thousands of SMP and SkyBlock servers) and possibly hastily implement them, (think skyblock) especially since gamemodes we have tried such as SMP have gained no traction and, in the case of SMP, essentially failures. If you are dead-set on adding a new gamemode, you could try and have a period where the community can try it out and give input on whether or not it should remain, and if its decided to become part of TotalFreeeom, make sure it is in a stable condition and clearly doesn't look "rushed" as in the case of SkyBlock, many faults were brought up because it was "released" when it clearly should of been in a beta phase.
    • We should also avoid the mentality of "if you don't like it, then leave because what I say, goes and that is final" mentality especially with drastic changes to the server experience such as a new gamemode, forums, etc. Community input on drastic changes to the server should be paramount, because community input could of resulted in skyblock being less of a hated shitshow (for many valid reasons.) and having a literal tard-fit over criticism and resorting to flame-wars because a flaw was pointed out in a new feature will make the feature seem like a spite move, regardless of intentions. Critiques should be discussed in a polite manner and flame wars moderated. I also strongly recommend the importance community feedback because in the end, the community is who will be using the new feature and ensuring the majority of players are happy is how you maintain a healthy playerbase.
    • Keep TF premium. This one needs little explanation because Cracked is a major security risk and invites spambots, trolls, ban bypassers and requires extensive admim or player verification systems because of the fact you can log in as anyone and potentially frame them.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• The simple answer to why none of our attempts at progress at the server lately have worked is that we can't just throw things at the wall to see what sticks. Quality control for the server, and especially the new servers we are trying to add has gone out the window. We need to focus on ensuring that our servers are an actually enjoyable experience before trying to market them to the greater community. Here is a short list of critical quality control issues that exist now and are tied to recent issues:

• Lack of a panel on any TF server.
    • The core of the freedom server, TFM, was built on an outdated premise of what TF is and needs to be replaced with permissions.
    • The bungee plugin that is used for the server was never set up properly and causes various issues on the server (i.e. conflicts with essentials commands and certain aliases.) Switching to permissions could help resolve some of these issues more easily.
    • Various issues on the Skyblock server attatched to the fact that it was claimed from someone else rather than set up itself. (i.e. economy was set up to be integrated with paid ranks, formatting is inconsistent with other TF servers, stability issues)

Another thing I would like to discuss is that there is a lack of a gameplay objective on the Freedom server that used to exist but has slowly vanished. TF used to be a server that people joined for the most part to either troll on or moderate trolls. It used to be an entertaining experience, even to just observe. This may sound ridiculous, but now that those game server trolls are mostly gone, both admins and regular players don't really have much to do anymore. It's why everyone tends to show up when drama happens here, because they are hungry for the experience that used to exist here. We have traded some of the entertaining properties of the server for order and a less toxic community. This isn't a bad thing, but it means moving forward, we need to understand that there is no longer a core concept that ties players to the freedom server.

If you want to satisfy the people who played here before, and our existing community, the path forward is to make the server into a place that manufactures chaos. It sounds like a bad thing, but it's really a hot concept that has caused a lot of other servers to succeed as well. If we want to move forward in a more stable fashion and re-establish the community, I think we should focus on finding a solid idea for unique gameplay. This is harder than it sounds, and it's a lot harder than just creating a stir and using it to attract people to the server, but if we can set up a gamemode that hasn't been done anywhere else, it's a great way to run a successful server. For example, these are out-there ideas that probably aren't very solid, but maybe we could work on a survival gamemode with a datapack that completely re-vamps the game with additional content. Or, we could fashion an in-game movie theater out of animated maps. Minecraft is a game that promotes creativity, and I know for sure as someone who digs through the game to find bugs that there is untapped potential that could be the foundation of a successful server.

• I'm curious why a few people feel a panel will grow our user base. While I'm not actively opposed to using a panel, I'd like to know how we think that's going to help increase our player base?

Wild1145

Alco_Rs11 In regards to the server experience itself, we should not try and diversify to gamemodes that are far too common (theres thousands of SMP and SkyBlock servers) and possibly hastily implement them, (think skyblock) especially since gamemodes we have tried such as SMP have gained no traction and, in the case of SMP, essentially failures. If you are dead-set on adding a new gamemode, you could try and have a period where the community can try it out and give input on whether or not it should remain, and if its decided to become part of TotalFreeeom, make sure it is in a stable condition and clearly doesn't look "rushed" as in the case of SkyBlock, many faults were brought up because it was "released" when it clearly should of been in a beta phase.

So I get the point you're making, but can you suggest what we can do? I appreciate suggesting how not to do some stuff, but that's not really all that helpful...

Alco_Rs11 We should also avoid the mentality of "if you don't like it, then leave because what I say, goes and that is final" mentality especially with drastic changes to the server experience such as a new gamemode, forums, etc. Community input on drastic changes to the server should be paramount, because community input could of resulted in skyblock being less of a hated shitshow (for many valid reasons.) and having a literal tard-fit over criticism and resorting to flame-wars because a flaw was pointed out in a new feature will make the feature seem like a spite move, regardless of intentions. Critiques should be discussed in a polite manner and flame wars moderated. I also strongly recommend the importance community feedback because in the end, the community is who will be using the new feature and ensuring the majority of players are happy is how you maintain a healthy playerbase.

There has been a consistent issue with TF for some time, which is why I personally sometimes have to take the "You don't like it, don't play it" attitude, and that's that probably around 85% of our "Community" don't actually play the games they shit on... The vast vast majority of people who shat on the Skyblock gamemode hadn't logged into TF in a very long time, so it's quite hard to balance that with what our actual players care about.

I'll also say, I've intentionally adopted the agile "Fail fast" approach, we do things, we see how it goes, and we adapt. That's exactly what we did with the Skyblock, there were more unknowns than we expected there, but ultimately we took on a new gamemode that had a captive player base and have been making small incremental changes to it as we've gone along to help better fit it into the community better.

Alco_Rs11 Keep TF premium. This one needs little explanation because Cracked is a major security risk and invites spambots, trolls, ban bypassers and requires extensive admim or player verification systems because of the fact you can log in as anyone and potentially frame them.

Yes, absolutely no intention of going back to cracked.

Panther The simple answer to why none of our attempts at progress at the server lately have worked is that we can't just throw things at the wall to see what sticks. Quality control for the server, and especially the new servers we are trying to add has gone out the window. We need to focus on ensuring that our servers are an actually enjoyable experience before trying to market them to the greater community.

I think there's a balance to be had here, it's mostly what I've just said in the previous reply, but at the end of the day. We don't have the time, player base or community frankly to allow us to beta test everything, and I'd personally rather be able to be that bit more reactive to change and it back fire than slow things down even further.

Panther Lack of a panel on any TF server.

Doesn't actually have any impact on the player experience to the server, I appreciate people want it, but we've had to de-scope it because it's not viable for us to put the effort into this right now to find something that meets all the requirements we have, or to create our own to meet those requirements.

Panther The core of the freedom server, TFM, was built on an outdated premise of what TF is and needs to be replaced with permissions.

As I think I said to Video, this requires a far far wider discussion, we are at our core a "FreeOP" server in all of our history and advertising, and while for me it would be a lot easier to adopt a permission based system, it's historically what has separated us from every other FreeOP Knock-off...

Panther The bungee plugin that is used for the server was never set up properly and causes various issues on the server (i.e. conflicts with essentials commands and certain aliases.) Switching to permissions could help resolve some of these issues more easily.

The overlap in commands was fully intentional... That was an intentional design decision on my part to move us to doing more things at the bungee level when we had originally been looking at having multiple servers on the network with players on. We've ran into some teething issues due to running beta versions of the plugin recently and them changing the permission nodes that I missed.

Panther Various issues on the Skyblock server attatched to the fact that it was claimed from someone else rather than set up itself. (i.e. economy was set up to be integrated with paid ranks, formatting is inconsistent with other TF servers, stability issues)

Most of these issues were resolved as part of players using it and reporting it, exactly what we really wanted...

Panther Another thing I would like to discuss is that there is a lack of a gameplay objective on the Freedom server that used to exist but has slowly vanished. TF used to be a server that people joined for the most part to either troll on or moderate trolls. It used to be an entertaining experience, even to just observe. This may sound ridiculous, but now that those game server trolls are mostly gone, both admins and regular players don't really have much to do anymore. It's why everyone tends to show up when drama happens here, because they are hungry for the experience that used to exist here. We have traded some of the entertaining properties of the server for order and a less toxic community. This isn't a bad thing, but it means moving forward, we need to understand that there is no longer a core concept that ties players to the freedom server.

If you want to satisfy the people who played here before, and our existing community, the path forward is to make the server into a place that manufactures chaos. It sounds like a bad thing, but it's really a hot concept that has caused a lot of other servers to succeed as well. If we want to move forward in a more stable fashion and re-establish the community, I think we should focus on finding a solid idea for unique gameplay. This is harder than it sounds, and it's a lot harder than just creating a stir and using it to attract people to the server, but if we can set up a gamemode that hasn't been done anywhere else, it's a great way to run a successful server. For example, these are out-there ideas that probably aren't very solid, but maybe we could work on a survival gamemode with a datapack that completely re-vamps the game with additional content. Or, we could fashion an in-game movie theater out of animated maps. Minecraft is a game that promotes creativity, and I know for sure as someone who digs through the game to find bugs that there is untapped potential that could be the foundation of a successful server.

I agree with all of this, and it's part of the reason for making this thread. But equally, any time / effort we put into those sorts of game modes, will reduce our development ability on the Freedom gamemode, something we got a huge amount of back lash for with the Skyblock (Despite it using 0 developer effort on our part as it was all existing plugins and config...). We had a cool gamemode that we've not seen anywhere on MC before that we wanted to develop, but again we've had to can it because the vibe I've been getting is that it's not something the community wants.

There are a few gamemodes that are a bit more PVP / similar that I was keen to start looking at us supporting, because I know the TF community has always been interested in PVP (Or at least there have been serious phases of it), but I need folks here to give me a bit of a steer on what they really want to see and what they're happy to "Trade" for it as it were...

Wild1145

• @'Ryan' Things we can to emgage the community could include hosting temporary event servers such as a minigames server for a special event for holidays or server milestones (server birthday, etc.( These bring new content in that can entertain the community and it won't get stale and waste resources in the long run.

The reason some of us suggested a panel is mainly to increase server reliability. The "console-bot" can get breached and the attacker can start and stop the server and even wipe discord channels. That is mainly a security improvement that can migitate the damage of a bot breach because then you can limit its powers.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

@'Ryan' I think there's a balance to be had here, it's mostly what I've just said in the previous reply, but at the end of the day. We don't have the time, player base or community frankly to allow us to beta test everything, and I'd personally rather be able to be that bit more reactive to change and it back fire than slow things down even further.

The problem with this is that if you just keep trying to push new content that is of low quality, you are never going to acomplish what the community wants and be able to grow the server. The community wants a high-quality gameplay experience. TF is lucky that it has at least a seed and some interested players that would enjoy new content here, but to be able to grow that seed you need to satisfy those people. Otherwise, you get put in a position like me trying to run my Darkstone server where nobody even tries the content since there's no pre-existing community. Skyblock should already be an apparent example of why quality control is critical: the server is completely dead, and even their existing community died because they became too separated from what their server once was.

@'Ryan' Doesn't actually have any impact on the player experience to the server, I appreciate people want it, but we've had to de-scope it because it's not viable for us to put the effort into this right now to find something that meets all the requirements we have, or to create our own to meet those requirements.

While having a panel will not directly attract players to the server, I believe it would greatly improve the player experience. Wouldn't it be a better experience if our staff had more tools to fix maintenance issues that are common on the server, especially on freedom? I feel like administrators could do their jobs better if they had access to things like console errors to assess why a problem is occurring, or power options to directly reboot the server instead of fiddling around with the bot that just never has worked properly. I know you hate a lot of the options for a panel, but this is one of those cases where I think you need to put aside your preference for the greater good of the community. Sure, running Docker in a VPS may not be the most efficient thing ever, but you also threw 16GB of ram at a GMod side project...

@'Ryan' We had a cool gamemode that we've not seen anywhere on MC before that we wanted to develop, but again we've had to can it because the vibe I've been getting is that it's not something the community wants.

The community is all for trying new ideas, I have absolutely no doubt about that. They just don't want something that's clearly executed with low effort or copied from somewhere else. To me, developing a new gamemode is a great idea, as long as it is done with unique gameplay and a high-quality experience in mind.

• Before this thread fades into obscurity, I want to say something I've said on every suggestion for a new gamemode: it is fine if you want to add something, but it absolutely has to be unique. Nobody is waiting for us to start a Pixelmon server that is the same as the 8191 already existing Pixelmon servers. Freedom or anarchy Pixelmon, on the other hand, is something that could actually be interesting if executed properly.

This is just an example, but in general, I think creating an experience that players can only get here has much more potential than trying to compete with generic gamemodes that other servers have been doing way better than we ever could for years.

• The other thing is any anarchy gamemode must be actual anarchy. Not just reduced rules, but full on no limits on hacks, language, etc. That's anarchy. Or better yet, we could create an entirely new gamemode from scratch.

•   Darth actual anarchy with no language limitations would fall under "bringing the reputation of ATLAS into disrepute" or whatever i believe
    id rather just have an smp with all hacks legal, thereby keeping the same experience but not creating an assembly line of regarding threads

2021-09-26_17.01.50.png

•   Darth we wouldn't allow an anarchy game mode with absolutely no rules. There will always be some basic rules around not breaking the law and not being a discriminatory dick bag.

Wild1145