Keep templates of the discord server

• Templates are a discord feature where you can make a template of a server - thus saving the channels and roles, but not the messages. The benefit of this is that you have a copy of the whole server’s ‘template’ to use in case of emergencies.

My suggestion is to keep templates of the discord server.

Thoughts?

• The templates aren't a super useful way of doing Dr recovery, it's something I've looked at and may end up being part of our final disaster solution, but on its own is pretty useless because they have to be kept up to date as we tweak channels and have to be stored somewhere. Not to mention they don't contain content.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

videogamesm12 This is still a third party service, which is exactly what bit us in the ass in the case of the Discord server.

No, what bit you in the ass in the case of the discord server, wasn't the fact that you were relying on a third-party service. It was the fact that someone with ill-intent had access to the token, that's your faults, not the services.

I'd like to re-iterate the fact that it could be coded into Kero (if elmon is willing), which would decrease any concerns you have. However the bot is very secure and I've used it on many servers myself.

Shdwo No, what bit you in the ass in the case of the discord server, wasn't the fact that you were relying on a third-party service. It was the fact that someone with ill-intent had access to the token, that's your faults, not the services.

The issue with the service is they actively refuse to put any effort into providing a way to either back the data up ourselves, or restore it for us, you would expect one if not both options available with it being a SaaS offering with no clearly defined responsibilities model.

But again, I wouldn't use a 3rd party SaaS offering for a backup solution given how poorly Discord has treated us, and I wouldn't trust other companies not to do exactly the same. If you can't trust your primary backup / restore route (Discord) then you damn well want to have control and trust over the fallback (Whatever we end up adopting).

Wild1145

• @'Ryan'

The issue with the service is they actively refuse to put any effort into providing a way to either back the data up ourselves, or restore it for us

Discord doesn't store messages / server info as that would be against their own platform's rules and would breach their user's privacy. I personally don't want every message I've sent in a server, stored elsewhere.. They can't restore what they don't have.

@'Ryan' how poorly Discord has treated us

@'Ryan' If you can't trust your primary backup / restore route (Discord)

I know you hold a grudge, but if you value your privacy then you'd respect the route that they've taken.

Shdwo Discord doesn't store messages / server info as that would be against their own platform's rules and would breach their user's privacy. I personally don't want every message I've sent in a server, stored elsewhere.. They can't restore what they don't have.

Discord does store messages.. they say that even if people have deleted their message, you can still report them if you have the message ID...

Shdwo Discord doesn't store messages / server info as that would be against their own platform's rules and would breach their user's privacy. I personally don't want every message I've sent in a server, stored elsewhere.. They can't restore what they don't have.

It already is all stored... Their CDN keeps copies of everything for months - years... They absolutely do have backups of their platform because otherwise they'd be fucked in a DR Scenario, which we know they have had before... It's not a case of "Can't" it's a case of "won't"

Shdwo I know you hold a grudge, but if you value your privacy then you'd respect the route that they've taken.

I do respect my privacy, it's why I don't use Discord for anything personal or business related, because their privacy is honestly laughable...

Wild1145

•   Shdwo It's absolute bollocks unfortunately... It's a known issue... Their CDN caches data even beyond image deletion and for quite some time... They might say they delete it, they do not.

Again, there will absolutely be backups of the data, because that's how you mitigate disaster recovery, else if they lost part of their servers, the entire of Discord would be wiped, destroying their company...

See previous comments...

Wild1145

Shdwo Discord doesn't store messages / server info

Uh Discord's a cloud service... how do you think users can read all the channels' history? Unless you mean they don't store backup data for their users, and it's half-true. Any serious company backs all the assets up (fun fact, some still use modern tapes), they'll simply refuse to set up a recovery procedure by users' requests.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

•   Tizz
    @'Ryan'

What you're on about is storing information while that information is still present. Discord removes messages off of their servers when its deleted (including images, however images are cached in the user's machine for easy loading), if it still exists then its kept. That's why they're able to backup data, because it still exists.

In your case, the server was deleted, meaning the messages and channel were removed from their databases.

•   Shdwo As I have told you, you are mistaken... You seem to be just ignoring my messages. Discord does not actually delete content when you give a delete command... Images / Video's are especially obvious with this. Unless it's been fixed this week I've been able to upload stuff to Discord, hot link to it and delete the original message in discord without a problem.

You also clearly seem to lack the understanding of what a back-up is... The point of a backup is to prevent data loss... Exactly what happened here... If they somehow deleted that data from their backups, they wouldn't be valid backups.

Again as I said, this is not a "Discord Can't restore our data" this is a "Discord Doesn't want to restore our data. There is a huge difference and it makes a huge difference to how much trust I put into their ability to run a resilient managed service offering (AKA, now that's near 0 trust).

Wild1145

• To prove Ryan's point about images still existing despite the place of origin being deleted, here is an image (directly hotlinked from Discord's servers) that was posted by RageHayes on the original Discord server on November 11, 2018, nearly 2 years before the original Discord server was deleted and nearly 3 years since it was originally posted.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/201370629738463233/511335294554079263/unknown.png

image.png