Formally implemented OP vanish, with some catches

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • i randomly decided to look through the denied suggestions to see if anything cool has been brought up but denied for some reason. it turns out there's a lot of things, especially really good ideas introduced in the middle of other discussions, which get lost and buried because the original post sucked or didnt follow da rules

@"Panther"#54 originally introduced the idea of OP /vanish in the thread below. it's worth reading if you are interested in this discussion:
    https://forum.totalfreedom.me/d/909-remove-d…-block-entities

Invisibility is a basic element of freedom that has always been one of TotalFreedom's features. On top of that, admins have a command to undisguise players already. I would actually go the other way and say that we should try to implement vanish as an op feature so long as admins can see vanished ops and other ops can't see vanished ops/admins.

about 1/3 into the thread, the discussion veered away from the original suggestion and more towards the ramifications of panther's suggestion. and then the thread was closed because the discussion was all over the place. it got way more support than i expected so i felt like bringing it back up. this might increase player freedom but it could also worsen the experience.

do you believe this should be properly implemented, so people don't have to push the limits of the server's features? or do you like the obscure way it already is?

• I'm not too sure. While I wouldn't be too against the idea if it already existed, I can't think of any reason why an operator would need to vanish besides nefarious methods. It's not that it would be hard for admins to deal with, but rather I can see people using it to give other operators a hard time more often than not.

The only possible reason I can see where an op would use vanish is if they wanted to help look at a possibly disruptive player if there aren't any staff online to do it instead. There's a few operators who do that to help out the staff, and it's one thing I used to do myself as an op. But that is a large minority - I see quite a few players attempting /vanish around the time they're trying to troll or other things - I'm in favour of invisible disguises because for the most part, the only players who know about them are too experienced on the server to bother with kinds of stuff.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

• Sorry, I should have linked the other post about this in my original thread. But yeah, I'm pretty sure this is going to be implemented, we're just waiting on it.