Make all rank colours customisable.

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • There have been a huge amount of suggestions regarding the alteration of current rank colours. Since the matter is subjective, no general consensus was reached.

This suggestion hopes to make all rank colours customisable, so that players can choose colours they like. Similar to how admins can use /myadmin to change the look of their admin chat.

• I am neutral.

Suggestions like these have been posted repeatedly before - but they've not been accepted. One of the reasons is because of the colours admin ranks hold. If someone has a green name, they're an Admin. If someone has a gold name, they're a Senior Admin etc.

• Unless someone can give me a REALLY good reason to allow this, I can't see it happening... The entire point of the rank colours is to make it easy to identify who is who in the chat at a glance...

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Personally object if this is what I think it is. I quite like players having the ability to press tab and knowing which player is what rank based on the colour of their name. It's much easier than trying to remember the colour that staff member likes in particular to represent themselves.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

•   RedEastWood Oh I forgot to put the final part.

What I mean is, the colours hold an image to players of who holds what rank. Who is in power, and who can deal with their issues. The colours are important, they are a sign to show that there is help available for the players.

•   RedEastWood I disagree. A handful of people want to change the colours, but have never been able to agree on what, and given they have changed multiple times for no good reason, it just makes it even harder to quickly identify the rank of someone at a glance... The colours are there for a reason, and as I've said, need to be consistent.

Wild1145

• @'Ryan' I would argue that for a user to want to/know how to change the colour of a rank, they would need to already know what that rank is, and to subsequently change the colour. This point doesn’t make sense to me because the user is the one inputting the rank and colour value to change - so therefor they surely know what rank correlates to what colour.

Your argument would be a valid cause of concern (to me at least) if these colours were completely randomised for each user; but they’re not - each user needs to input a specific command (which is already a minority of players as I doubt every new player will immediately rush to change rank colours).

• Perhaps there is some misunderstanding in my suggestions. Players would need to run a command to change rank colours, specifying both the rank and colour change. If the user is competent enough to run this command, they are competent enough to remember the colour and the rank it correlates to. This is why I don’t see the merit in the points brought up before this post.

•   RedEastWood My view is that it adds unnecessary complexity to the server, is dev effort for something that I don't think we personally need, and will almost certainly lead to confusion eventually.

I've never seen a server allow people to change rank colours, and given we're changing how the ranks are working soon to be part of Network Manager, this won't even be technically possible at that point, because the plugin is closed source for one, and there's no way in fuck that we're trying to modify it...

Wild1145