Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Object. You can attach pretty much any sort of data string to a spawn egg, which can cause big problems when spawn eggs are enabled. For example, you can spawn in a lingering potion cloud with an enormous radius that kills everyone nearby, or a fireball that wrecks everything within a hundred blocks. Just "removing" the data is more of a pain in the ass than it sounds. There are all sorts of bypasses for that type of patch, and working around all those methods is too much of a hassle for what it's worth. For example, back when spawn eggs were enabled (and had heavy restrictions at the time as well,) I remember people spawning these bats with really long name tags that caused lag with set spawn coordinates using dispenser machines thousands of blocks away. It was really hard to find and remove these machines.

• Object. Why the flying fuck is this even debated anymore? Its the most obvious reasoning ever, spawn eggs have one of if not the most dangerous exploits. It would take the devs forever to patch all the current problems and then the future ones, and they have more than enough on their plate already. NTM like kritikal and panther said, there would be bypasses.

Also if Kritikal AND panther object on something like this it should really put it in your face that this is a stupid idea.

• Vouch. There are many ways to handle avoidance of NBT. If NBT were to be avoided altogether, there are a few ways I can think of off the top of my head this could be avoided:

1. Scraping all NBT without checking if it exists, preventing any form of hidden NBT bullshit
    2. Instead of loading a mob from the spawn egg, load a new, clean instance from the type of entity in the egg

This is not that hard of a problem to solve. Disabling vanilla features to prevent exploits is not good practice.

• Object for the reasons above; /spawnmob exists, and there's a reason the vanilla /summon is blocked for non-admins.

However...

• /spawnmob should have the limit be a configuration entry instead of hardcoded, and should probably have it be above 10 regardless. (Already a ticket.)
    • /summon just, uh, doesn't work with certain entities unless you're in the overworld overworld, and it would certainly be nice to know why.
  • Why on the BlockPlaceEvent can't we detect if it's a spawn egg? If so, just cancel the event and then spawn a new clean mob with no NBT data in its place. Perhaps TFM could scan the egg and if it does contain a name like Dinnerbone, it will be applied but strip anything other than A-Z and have a max of 16 charachters

• The only way to make spawn eggs non-exploitable is to disable their ability to hold any NBT. And even so, a funny man could always spam thousand of mobs using an autoclicker.

A fool's fool fools fools who foolishly accept the foolishness of a fool's fool.

•   characterslimits so basically your idea is now to add a feature which will be objectively worse and less useful than the feature we already have to do this.

Even if this gets approved we're looking at 12-18 months for something like this to even be considered to be implemented. It's literally completely fucking pointless.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

• spawn eggs are pointless to unblock, its a hassle for the devs to patch out the exploits involving spawn eggs (its also a waste of time) because /spawnmob [mob] {amount] exists 🤔

• ill add to that you should keep the nbt?
    i don't care about "crashing the server" or "player experience" this is my freedom of speech !
    retard communists marxist leninist

• I think this is a good idea if we can remove any NBT / other data from the spawn eggs.

Approved with that understanding and raised FS-377 to destroy any non-vanilla data that could be used.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK