Windows 11 Build 21996

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • So a build of Windows 11 supposedly leaked. Microsoft has teased Windows 11 in two ways. On the official Windows channel, they uploaded this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMr4Qm5ZWrI. It's some Windows sounds slowed down 4000x as "slo-fi". However, the length just happens to be exactly 11 minutes. Microsoft also teased this image on their Twitter for an upcoming Windows event. As you can see, it's pretty obvious this is making an 11. If it wasn't, there would be a horizontal line in the shadow.

Here's a video showing the new UI in Windows 11.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMHgM_hTzlw

Thoughts?

• not a fan of the start button position. nonetheless i cant wait to get rid of 10

and cant wait for WaaS to be gone for a long time

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

•   You! Windows as a Service. In other words, one version of Windows that gets a continuous stream of updates. This is in contrast to standalone updates once every few years that were big and much more polished. In other words, Windows XP and Windows 7 were standalone. Once it was released, there were no major functionality changes. Whereas Windows 10 has had massive changes from the RTM build to the newest version

• Tbh I quite liked the way the windows 10 update steam worked. Far more like MacOS which actually made it easy enough to upgrade. It wasn't perfect but much preferred IMHO to having to do major reinstall

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Oversimplification has struck once again. >:(

me and @"videogamesm12"#4 got our hands on an ISO we gonna have a little dick around

awesomeist tf blokey

•   videogamesm12 It indeed was. I'm honestly glad they're iterating Windows again. I personally think it was a mistake to make Windows a service. I wouldn't be surprised if it put off people to switch to Mac. Every update seemed to change stuff and many people didn't like getting used to a bunch of minor changes. In contrast, macOS gets yearly updates that truly feel major. macOS also does not force you to upgrade to each new release. You can stay on any release and get two additional years of security only updates. After that, you don't get any more security updates, but you're not forced to upgrade to the newest version regardless. Most people don't even understand this, but I think it contributes to the whole people hating updating thing. Hopefully they go back to standalone versions of Windows, even if it costs money

•   Tizz Yes. On Mac, there is a clear distinction between a major release and a security update. Windows treats both the same, whereas Mac keeps feature updates entirely separate. Apple isn't aggressive (at all) about updating to major new OS releases. On a brand new install of macOS Big Sur, the option for automatic updates were completely turned off (which surprised me)

•   videogamesm12 I'm sure it does. That seems to be the branding and also winver has a different font and literally says Windows 11. It's obvious Microsoft is releasing a Windows 11, but the timeline is unclear. Will they release a Windows 12 and will it become yearly like macOS? It also begs the question on how final Microsoft considers this and if this will become the beta and Microsoft will continue refining it

•   videogamesm12 comparing it to this image, it could be just you

also can we mention how we're iterations away from 7 and the installer still uses basic aero. not saying thats a problem but an observation i've made

awesomeist tf blokey

• Initially I was going to be very pleased that the OS didn't come with any bloat because I only saw the barebones shit in the start menu. Much to my dismay however, a few moments later it installed a bunch of useless crap to my VM, including the ever-so-invasive Facebook Messenger.
    https://videogamesm12.me/l2hSEbasFpB7.png

image.png

•   videogamesm12 it does have me concerned about how this will be down the line. part of me feels these apps have paid a lot of money to be preinstalled. good quality advertising right there though but end of the day this doesn't belong on the consumers PC preinstalled despite 9 times out of 10 will be commonly used applications to be installed anyway.

sidenote i had fucking picsart in year 7 making images on my phone. why is it now bundled with windog along with btec photoshop

awesomeist tf blokey

•   Tizz Yeah for the major ones it does and it generally works well. Then the more minor updates are streaming.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK