Is building with redstone sufficient enough to qualify for masterbuilder?

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Hi,

This has been an issue in the past that needs to be resolved by our community, our current MB roster, and our ECD. We have had debates in the past as to whether or not building redstone contraptions can qualify you for MB. We have had many conflicting opinions about this. xfilez for example, actually was the ECD at one point and built mainly redstone contraptions. So I just want this question to be answered, can building redstone contraptions qualify you for MB?

• I remember having a conversation with xFilez about this where he told me that there were two types of MB - Building & Redstone (I could be wrong). I don't think this is the case anymore but it was a thing in the past afaik.

• @B0bP0p#19363 It does, however we have many players who I guarantee will object if your only skill is building with redstone. So I just want to know basically if it is invalid to object for that or not

• Yes it can br, as someone who is pretty skilled in redstone, I would say that as long as its something that shows

• Originality
    • Creativity
    • Skill
    • And Effort

Then it is perfectly valid for an mb application, in otherwords, it basicly follows the same rules as with building normal stuff for an mb application, as long as you show all of these main 4 points, it is a completely valid submission

• I'd wager that if you were to apply through redstone contraptions, they'd have to be pretty advanced to live up to the title, IMO building a clock or a few flying machines shouldn't qualify you for MB. If that isn't the case then we should probably look into that.

• @elmon#19364 technically this is still a thing, but in reality its more like theres only one title which is MB, and then its just that some people are better at redstone than building, and some people are better at building than redstone, either way, they are just an MB

• If redstone only is enough to justify a user being mb, then what else could justify that? Although, to my knowledge, it has never been done, if a player is very experienced in the creative aspect of creating custom items, what is stopping them from applying? According to Dragons logic, originality, creativity, and skill / effort are the only aspects required in attaining master builder. I honestly don't know how the community would react if an op applied for mb with custom items being what he thinks warrants a promotion. The current argument for allowing redstoners to apply for mb is the difficulty and skill required when creating redstone contraptions. This honestly could be said about almost any type of minecraft related art, begging the question, when do we draw the line at what master builder is? Is it a building rank or a general creativity rank.

Another thing I would like to mention, is that, although master builder is generally looked at as a title, the rank also brings about benefits. Allowing users additional tools that would assist them in building terrain being the main one, not much regarding redstone (if anything at all) is currently implemented.

@burger#19409 Another thing I would like to mention, is that, although master builder is generally looked at as a title, the rank also brings about benefits. Allowing users additional tools that would assist them in building terrain being the main one, not much regarding redstone (if anything at all) is currently implemented.

I think this is a very significant point.

• This is not a question with a correct answer. For some reason, the definition of the master builder rank changes every time we get a new Creative Designer, and this is one the things that keep going back and forth. Compare the response by Dragon in this thread to the one by Miwo, who has also held the title multiple times.

• I was always of the opinion that being a "Master Builder" means you have exceptional skills in building in comparison to others. I also defined both "building" building and redstone under that category of building. Simply because you can "build a redstone door", and/or, "build a castle".

I wouldn't be against the idea of separating the master builder rank into two. For one, in any Master Builder application, we ask if people will help in building projects. Redstoners really can't help much in this regard, so it's kind of redundant.

My next thought on this though would be, what exactly do you name this second rank? Master Engineer? Master Redstoner? I've always thought Master Builder rolls off the tongue and keeps things simple. Anyways, that's my two cents.

• I think it is. MBs can work together (i think), so it's not like someone having below average actual building abilities compared to other MBs is going to affect them too much. And it does take a lot of skill to be able to integrate relevant redstone circuitry into builds while not really changing the appearance or feel of the build.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.