Client Freeze because of /cage (head)

• Earlier this evening, I caged Lyicx in player skulls (Both with skin and without); It resulted in my, Lyicx's and Charge's client freezing for a period of time before going back to normal.

I'm pretty sure client freezing shouldn't happen in the first place; To reproduce this bug, admins must cage a user in a player head (I used "twat"), but I must warn you that it will freeze your client and possible crash your game if you're running a low-end pc.

• Here are my theories as for what's causing the lagspike:

• The client needs to load in the texture for skins, which can take a second
    • The sudden placement of multiple tile entities all at once

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

image.png

• @videogamesm12#16257 i predict a combination of both in a sort that it has to fetch each texture for every head that does take time.

fuck fuck im having a big brain moment uhh since they were heads of a user that doesn't exactly exist it could be trying to fetch the texture for each one although there is no texture and nothing it can load from cache and the combination of so many of those heads at once is not good combo

yeah convoluted as always

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

• Will raise a bug to look into it, answer might be going back to not supporting heads in cage...

FS-246 raised to investigate.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• You guys just noticed this? Holy fuck I noticed this when I was developer twice and just hoped no one noticed so I didn’t have to fix it

Minecraft's recent updates have somehow spontaneously fucked the client when as Caleb said multiple tile entities are placed at once, or when thousands are placed next to each other. I don’t know if there is a fix for this to be honest

• I'm aware that I have just bumped a thread from more than a year ago and I apologize.

The reason why this happens is because skins are not computed in parallel, this means that when your client wants to render a skin it has to stop everything because the skin renderer contains blocking code (not asyncronous)

This might have been fixed in later versions in Minecraft, due to the chunk builder now being threaded. Make sure you go in to your options and pick "Chunk Builder: Threaded" in video options.