Naughty Word List discussion.

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.

@Miwojedk#15832 i honestly dont see a difference between a racial slur and "retard".

the word simply is accepted by most of society.

If you say certain racial slurs, you will face negative consequences for that in interactions with most people. If you say "retard," it is generally considered to be acceptable. In my opinion, the acceptance of terms like "retard" is defined by the Overton window. In our case, the same logic applies to the image of TotalFreedom: most players would frown upon certain slurs being used, but in the case of others, like "retard," more players would be upset by the banishment of the term rather than seeing it on the server.

• @Miwojedk#15895 From a management perspective, it doesn't matter why it's considered to be unacceptable or not, it's simply about the fact that it is either accepted or not accepted by most people. In this case, it is largely considered to be acceptable, so therefore more users will be upset if the term is banned rather than left alone.

@fleshly#15924 how about we only ban anyone who specifically uses these words in discriminatory way

We tried this before. It's proven again and again to simply not work. We need to draw the line somewhere, however, that doesn't mean we need to take an "all or nothing" approach in terms of banning slurs.

• I'm sorry, but doesn't anyone else find it tiring to have this discussion over and over without making any progress? Unless you are proposing a practical solution that we can deploy right now, I really don't think there is any argument you can come up with that hasn't been made yet in the 1000+ posts that we've dedicated to this topic by now.

• @Panther#15921
    "In this case, it is largely considered to be acceptable, so therefore more users will be upset if the term is banned rather than left alone."
    I implore you to ask any random person if the term "retard" is non-offensive. Sure, it might not be rejected to the same degree as the N-word, but the fact of the matter is that the general populus do in fact regard it as a insensitive slur.

I'm not arguing for it to be banned or not, but to somehow draw a boundary between the two is a silly and pointless endeavour.

Also, giving the individual Admin the final verdict on a ban in regards to hate speech has never been "proven" not to work. You, or others, might not have liked how it functioned, but to simply dismiss it as "ineffective" is disingenious. Again, instead of setting arbitrary lines on which words to use and not to use, it would be far easier to simply say all are allowed, or give the verdict over to the most senior Admin. Afterwards, the player may appeal, and if they the staff team deems the ban inappropriate, then the ban will of course be lifted.

I simply haven't seen the scenario you describe play out. And this is especially more relevant now, since the conduct policy has been shortened by Wild to be more all-encompassing, and thus leaving the judgement up to the individual Admin based on the circumstances.

@redeastwood#15946
    If somebody argues that, then that's when we take all evidence into account and the jury will decide if any repercussions are necessary... just like any other real life justice system.