Make the TFM custom world system configurable

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • To make the TFM more attractive to server owners (not just our own), an idea I had would be to make the custom world system currently present in the plugin completely configurable. It would generate worlds and apply protection based on parameters defined in a configuration file.

Here are some benefits to this idea:

• This would allow server owners to add or remove as many worlds to their server as they wish without having to compile the plugin
    • Suggestions to add or remove worlds would not require developer input to implement, as it would only require a single configuration file to be changed

Obviously, it would require some developer work to implement this, but I'd argue that it would be worth it in the long run.

What do you think? Should this be implemented? Give your thoughts below.

image.png

• @UnderTails#15273 Currently, the TotalFreedomMod has its custom worlds (flatlands, adminworld, and masterbuilder world) hard-coded. This suggestion is to change the world system to ditch this system of hard-coding worlds in favor of something that can be configured by anybody without having to recompile the plugin to do so.

image.png

• The main problem with this is that we have limited developer time to spend currently and I feel like that time is better spent on things more urgent than making TFM more appealing to potential server owners (which is an extremely small demographic). Not saying it isn't a good idea to consider, but it's very low on a long list of priorities.

• While this is a good idea, it won't be something that we will focus on - our main priority is utilising stuff for the network (F01 and F02).

To be honest, I think suggestions like this that do not impact the community should be discussed between developers and Ryan.

• I vouch not due to the fact it may assist other server owners but because of the fact that this may potentially help the future community manager in their job - e.g. events that take place in a particular world (hunger games or something?) can be made without having to jump through too many hoops. I also vouch due to suggestions like the recent void world suggestion, which would be far easier to add.

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

• I vouch. This is something that can benefit not just other people but also this server. Allowing for creating and managing worlds through a configuration file would allow for easy creation of events worlds without having to hardcode a new world into the TFM. This would make it as simple as editing a config and restarting the server and you get a new world without having to waste developer resources to add or remove worlds used for events that only may last a month or two for events.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

@Luke#15314 because of the fact that this may potentially help the future community manager in their job - e.g. events that take place in a particular world (hunger games or something?)

we do likely at some point have an events server coming soon, no eta i aint asked about it yet but it was approved afaia. but if it was going to have tfm and the likes i see what you mean. this'd be useful i imagine on the main server too for the same reasons.

vouch

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

• I intend long term to remove or have the ability to disable the custom TFM worlds anyway, as that's caused a hell of a lot of the problems for TF recently.

Ultimately we won't ever ever ever permit new worlds to be created on the FreeOP Servers, and my intention will be that as we go forward we start to move these current custom TFM worlds out of FreeOP Servers and on to dedicated servers instead.

I have no issue approving the dev time to disable / enable the admin world / MB world etc etc, but customising them / dynamically adding them based on config isn't something I really see being remotely useful to TF, especially when there's about 100 other tickets (Not even kidding) that needs to be done right now...

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK