Proposed Changes to the ESL Role

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Hi Folks,

I've been pondering over making some changes to the role of the ESL for some time, given the role at this point has sorta been 3 former exec roles all mushed up into one, and from reading the applications and conversations with some of the candidates, it's become clear folks all have very different ideas of what the ESL role is and means, so before I appoint someone to take on the executive role, I want to open my changes up for community feedback to see if folks agree with my thinking.

In short, I intend to split the ESL role into two roles, one focused around advertising and external outreach, and one around community management and player retention. I expect the two roles to actually work very closely together, but I think from reading the applications for ESL and the conversations I've had, we've got applicants that would be outstanding at one, and okay at the other and vice vera.

In short the "Advertising" person would be responsible for bringing new players in, managing our advertising strategy and co-running the servers social media. The "Community Manager" would be responsible for the management of events, helping prioritise new feature suggestions, co-running the social media and ultimately trying to retain as many players as we can.

It'll need to be fleshed out into a bit more detail before I do make any changes, and I'll update this post and the thread appropriately, but before I go to far I'd appreciate peoples thoughts on if they think this is a sensible split, or if there is a better way to do this, my current view is a single ESL role is just too big at the moment.

Thanks folks.

Update:

The Current ESL Role Description:

Manages server advertisement and community engagement. In charge of maintaining voting websites and manages the growth of the community. The primary responsibility of this role is to grow the servers player base, and engage with our community.

They also manage server events (hosted from the Discord server) to help bring the community together to do more things such as build comps, movies, playing other games, you name it.

Executive Community Manager:

The Executive Community Manager is responsible for the health and ongoing retention of our community. This individual will be responsible for managing server events, for engagement with the community and helping to bring suggestions to the wider leadership team which will benefit the server and helping to run the server social media presence. This individual will be responsible for helping to maintain the community on all of our platforms (In-Game, on the forums, on Discord and anywhere else we may deem official in the future).

This individual will be expected to work closely with our development team to help agree priorities for features that the community are looking for, and will be expected to work closely with the Executive Server Evangelist to ensure a joined up strategy for the growth of the server. This individual will also continue to oversee any associated communities / servers with the TF Network.

Executive Server Evangelist

The Executive Server Evangelist will be responsible for the overall advertising and promotional strategy of the TF Network, bringing players in to the FreeOP Servers, and any other gamemodes we launch in the future. This individual will be expected to represent the community externally (And by extension representing ATLAS Media Group) with the end-goal of bringing more players to us.

This individual will also be expected to help coordinate and execute our social media plans, along side other individuals as appropriate and to work with the Community Manager and Lead Developer to agree on priorities for new features, gamemodes or anything else that may help attract players. This individual will also be ultimately responsible for things such as voting, which will likely play a key part in the advertising strategy, again engaging with the community manager where appropriate to do so.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• The three former executive positions, for reference:
    Advertising Manager
    Associated Server Liaison
    TotalFreedom Evangelist

Interestingly, the modern Server Liaison is the first time we have had an executive position responsible for player retention. I think it makes sense to split it out, though, now that it has become a significant responsibility by itself.

• i am the ecm of totalfreedom minecraft server

this change good as discussed. will allow the best of both worlds here and i only added this part just because i just wanted to state i am the unconfirmed ecm

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

@wild1145#15159 helping prioritise new feature suggestions

Anything relating to development that would improve player experience should be either left to Ryan and me or be discussed with us before approval - it will require scoping and a ticket.

• I've updated the original post to add what I would expect the new roles to look like in more detail.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK