Show the remaining ban time on a ban

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Currently when you're banned you see what time you got banned, what time you will be unbanned, the reason, and the IP. Now a lot of OPs get banned then go 'when will I be unbanned???' because they don't check the times or they can't work it out. This can be because of timezones, if a player in GMT+5 sees they will be unbanned at 10:00 GMT+0 they may think they will be unbanned at 10:00 GMT+5.

~~Anyway, the suggestion is to have an additional message which shows how long you will be banned for. For example, if my ban expires in 5 hours and 4 minutes, it would say: ~~

~~Time remaining: 5 hours and 4 minutes ~~

Updated suggestion:

Show how long there is left in the ban like in the message which has a strikethrough above. Also show the ban expiry time in the player's timezone through geolocation.

Some of you will say that OPs should just not be lazy, well I think it's wrong to say that; we should cater towards the needs of the OPs, not force them to follow the needs of us.

• Please don't use polls on suggestions. I don't look at them because flarum doesn't let me see poll votes without voting myself. Which often I don't want to do.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @videogamesm12#14284 Basically what Red said.

It would show them how long they have left of being banned. Also when you currently get banned it throws more info at you like this:

Ban expires on 2021-20-04 at 10:02:30 GMT

However, I do support the other message red put to compare it to my suggestion, which is this one:
    You will be unbanned at 12:00 BST

• @videogamesm12#14290 It's not, but if we thought like that for every suggestion made.. we'd have fuckall.

"why is it our responsibility to give them fun plugins, they can just have fun themselves"
    "why is it our responsibility to fix bugs, just dont do them"

As admins, we're expected to have some kind of OP - Admin relationship, as to where we should be trying to give an OP the best experience they can possibly get. So limiting them in this way, just because it's "not our responsibility" or it's "spoonfeeding them" isn't exactly the best way to go about it.

• @videogamesm12#14290 This whole mentality of OPs working around us is toxic. We need to cater towards the OPs. It is quite literally our job as management and admins to make their lives on our server as easy as possible; why make it harder just because it’d be "spoon feeding"

• @redeastwood#14295 Perhaps my crabby mood right now is impacting my judgment (I haven't slept yet). I agree that we should make their lives as easy as possible, but I feel that it's a bit excessive to add a new line containing information that could be viewed as redundant.

image.png

• Telling someone "You will be unbanned in 2 hours" vs "You will be unbanned at 12 (LOCAL TIME ZONE)" achieves quite literally the same thing. Either way, if I was told something was to happen at a given time, I would quickly do the math and figure out how long it would be until then, and if I was told how long it would be until that thing happened, I would do the math to find out what time that would be.

Regardless, it really doesn't matter, but showing the local time probably makes more sense. We could also just do both.

@elmon#14303 We could also just do both.

Provided that it provides this information on the same line as the regular expiration date, sure why not.

Here's an idea I had as for how we could modify it to accomplish this:

Code
    Expires: 2021-04-20 12:00:00 MDT (9m 31s left)  

image.png

• @redeastwood#14320 The issue is most of the sites that get the geolocation are charged (As NM does it and I'm currently having to pay for it)...

Wild1145

• @Fleek#14319 I'll check the NM Database, because I think we store IP's and Geolocations in there for a lot of the analytics it does, if we can pull the data out of these that'd be ideal.

Wild1145

• I'm a bit confused here.

Telling someone "You will be unbanned in 2 hours" vs "You will be unbanned at 12 (LOCAL TIME ZONE)" achieves quite literally the same thing

If they achieve the same thing, then instead of going for the latter and trying to find out their local timezone through external sources (which is arguably the harder option). Go for the former and work out how long they have left on their ban.